Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1290110  by hazmatmess

I've lived on SI for 17 years and now I live right near the SIRT. I read that the SIR has to comply with FRA standards. What are the differences between the SIR and the subway? I know the SIR uses CPL lights and the horns sound different but what else is different?
Thanks
 #1290208  by R36 Combine Coach

SIRT is no longer FRA/ICC jurisdiction. The R44s, when delivered in 1973 did had some modifications for AAR/FRA standards, such as exterior grab irons. There are no FRA cards in the R44 cabs.
 #1290321  by hazmatmess

Well then…. LoL Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. So I am guessing that when and if new cars are ever delivered to SI, they'll be just like regular subway cars with no extra modifications needed?
 #1294125  by andre

Last I checked SIRT was still under FRA but opperating the R44SI cars under waiver from the FRA since the tottenville line does not currently connect to the national network
 #1295589  by DaveBarraza

SIRTOA is embargoed, they are no longer FRA since they became severed from the national rail network.

They still comply with some FRA regulations at their discretion, and their rule book is more like a Railroad one than the NYCT one.
 #1299094  by expbusop

Always wondered why SIRT needed four new work engines to replace the two that they had?
 #1323196  by tdoran1951

NORAC Rules – Same as, NJT, MN, SEPTA, AMT, et al. (FRA has to approve rules)
ATC/CSS Signal System - Same as, NJT, MN, SEPTA, AMT, et al. (FRA controls specifications)
PTC Overlay Provision – Capable future upgraded same as, NJT, MN, SEPTA, AMT, et al.

But not under FRA jurisdiction ort control, nor STB for the moment.

The word is to watch out for the Chinese, the 400-500 meter, 20,000 plus container vessels cannot dock and transfer in any US port at present. They need 50-60 deep water at full load, usually go broadside to bulkhead, have limited current / wind compensation, thus SI deep water, and possibly BKLYN deep water are critical for these ships. The Chinese (they already have a dozen of these size ships, many more coming) are pushing the RPC plan, possibly fully funding such, thus national rail interconnection points, one to west via Port Ivory, and one to the north via the Hellgate.

Baltimore, Boston are “out”, Newport News is “in”, as is one port in Florida, as is Long Beach in California for these ships.