Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1347896  by Steampowered

I am wondering why they never connected the staten island rail to perth amboy station. It seems it would solve alot of traffic issues on the parkway. Including a real subway connection to NYC ?
 #1347908  by CNJGeep

Steampowered wrote:I am wondering why they never connected the staten island rail to perth amboy station. It seems it would solve alot of traffic issues on the parkway. Including a real subway connection to NYC ?
Google "NYC Subway Second System" These are all lines that were planned in the 1920s and would have effectively doubled the size of the network. Unfortunately, the depression put the kibosh on that. I'm not sure if Perth Amboy was on there-don't forget there was a ferry there until 1964.
 #1348073  by Steampowered

https://transitism.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... t-barrier/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crossing the Other River, or, the region’s biggest transit barrier
Posted on May 24, 2015

While geographically close, New Jersey often thinks of Staten Island as a distant place that does not have much importance to the mainland. To some, it’s that place where 3/5 of the cast members of the Jersey Shore are from. To others, it might as well be Long Island.

Staten Island is well connected to the other boroughs, with MTA express buses to Midtown Manhattan and Brooklyn, and the Staten Island Ferry to Lower Manhattan.

But to get to New Jersey, a Staten Islander’s transit options are very limited. There are no transit services at all that cross the Arthur Kill, the 10-mile body of water separating Staten Island’s western shore and New Jersey.
 #1348652  by andre

also keep in mind there were two different competing railroads in control at the time, the PRR/RDR seashore lines was across the arthur kill (stones throw) and B&O controlled the SIRT at the time and they had no interest in building a second bridge from tottenville to perth amboy when they already had a bridge on the north shore
 #1348676  by Hawaiitiki

CNJGeep wrote:
Steampowered wrote:I am wondering why they never connected the staten island rail to perth amboy station. It seems it would solve alot of traffic issues on the parkway. Including a real subway connection to NYC ?
Google "NYC Subway Second System" These are all lines that were planned in the 1920s and would have effectively doubled the size of the network. Unfortunately, the depression put the kibosh on that. I'm not sure if Perth Amboy was on there-don't forget there was a ferry there until 1964.
I don't think any of the proposals involved connecting Staten Island to the Perth Amboy area. Only Jersey-inclusive thoughts were ideas to connect the midtown and downtown PATH trains and turn it into some sort of a loop line extending to the west side of the JC heights.
 #1513357  by XBNSFer

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:20 pm The new Goethals Bridge might have transit service of some form in the future.
LMFAO. Just like the new Tappan Zee Bridge. Don't hold your breath!