• Single levels on VRE?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by train2

With all the bi-level/double deck cars delivered, does VRE still regularly run with single level cars?

T2
  by realtype

train2 wrote:With all the bi-level/double deck cars delivered, does VRE still regularly run with single level cars?

T2
Nope those cars were long sold to the Connecticut Department of Transportation (CDOT) for use for their Shore Line East commuter rail service (out of New Haven). The cab cars stuck around for a while, since VRE didn't have any working gallery car cab cars in the original ex-Metra fleet, but all those went to CDOT about two years ago. So, after selling their 13 Kawasaki bilevels to MARC, VRE is all gallery car now.
Last edited by realtype on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by davinp

VRE receive 10 more new gallery cars early next year for a total of 71 new Gallery Cars in Operation. They have 30 old ex-Chicago in storage for back-ups in case one of the new cars has to be taken out for maitenance.
  by Matt Johnson

I remember reading on www.tdxinfo.org a few years ago that 5 single level VRE cars had been retained for possible use on a Trans Dominion Express "starter train" but I guess they have since been sold. I suppose the new Regional extension to Lynchburg is as close as we're gonna get to TRE for the time being.
  by DutchRailnut

coorect all went to CDOT for SLE service.
  by realtype

davinp wrote:VRE receive 10 more new gallery cars early next year for a total of 71 new Gallery Cars in Operation. They have 30 old ex-Chicago in storage for back-ups in case one of the new cars has to be taken out for maitenance.
Well that's good. I had thought the order was finished and have still seen at least one trainset with the ancient Metra cars and was wondering if VRE didn't purchase enough new ones to replace all the old ones. That's a whole lot of cars to keep in storage though as "backups."