Railroad Forums 

• Silverliner Vs Out of Service - Technical Topics

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1396049  by BandA

They've known for a month now what part failed. If they were smart they started working on contingencies during the first week of July. If they started work on this before the failure then there is something Rotem in Denmark.
SCOTT: Even if we were under a full-scale attack I couldn't move any faster, not and maintain a safety factor.
SPOCK: At the rate you're proceeding, calculations show that you'll take a minute and a half more than we have left. You can't afford a safety factor.
 #1396081  by pumpers

Backshophoss wrote:It's possible Canton Drop Forge has a license from GSC as well.
Canton Drop Forge was listed as one of two possible suppliers for the equalizers in the original bidding spec for Silverliner V, but they lost to the Columbus Castings (formerly Buckeye). So I assume they at least had a license at that time. JS

Note to BikeNtransit: they (whoever the supplier is) certainly aren't supplying all the equalizers by Labor Day, which it sounded you might have had the impression of. The plan was 10 cars /week (40 equalizers I presume!) through some time in November. Don't know if that sounds more reasonable to someone in the industry.
Last edited by pumpers on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1396166  by bikentransit

That does sound more reasonable. Lead times on custom forgings usually run 4-6 weeks. Then there's machining time. Maybe the shop doing the machining will run 24 hours shifts. Maybe the forging company will do the machining. My only point was these are not off the shelf parts, and there's considerable time to forge the metal, machine it, inspect it, fit it to the car, then test. I'm sure there will be loads of overtime for the companies making these parts, so that may help shave days off delivery time.
 #1397419  by Backshophoss

Columbus Castings is done,it was sold off at auction, to the US unit of a German Company,in a year or so the
factory will be demo'ed and removed,to become vacant land sold off to a developer.
They were a supplier to Amtrak and other RR/Transit operations to boot!! :(
 #1397571  by pumpers

DutchRailnut wrote:the replacement equalizers are being supplied by : http://cantondropforge.com/markets/transportation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is that on-line somewhere, or through the grapevine? In any case, that means the new ones will be forged, not plate steel with the infamous weld to the bearing plates on the end to worry about.
Thanks, JS
 #1397784  by silverlinerfan22

pumpers wrote:Any news on all this out of SEPTA lately? it's been a few weeks...
Heard yesterday may be delay in meeting schedule for returning cars to service. Apparently questions regarding inspections and apparently something does not match drawings. I will try to find out more.
 #1397917  by jayfar

I keep seeing mentions of forged equalizer bars in the latter part of this thread, but Knueppel clearly stated in the last news conference that they were going with plate steel. At that time there were two designs under consideration: one with pinned shoes, instead of welds, and another with welded shoes, but of a different design than the failed beams. Anyone know which of those two plate steel designs they decided on?
 #1398706  by pumpers

jayfar wrote:I keep seeing mentions of forged equalizer bars in the latter part of this thread, but Knueppel clearly stated in the last news conference that they were going with plate steel. At that time there were two designs under consideration: one with pinned shoes, instead of welds, and another with welded shoes, but of a different design than the failed beams. Anyone know which of those two plate steel designs they decided on?
I'll take part of the blame. The original bidding specs for the Silverliner V's had the following lines (in section 13.5.3)
The equalizer beams shall either be plate steel as provided by the Buckeye Steel Castings Company, or steel forgings as provided by the Canton Drop Forge Company.
So when it was posted the Canton Drop Forge got the job for the replacements, and given all the trouble with the welds, and given that CDFC has a picture of a forged equalizer on its web site, it seemed only natural to me that the equalizers would have been forgings, not plate steel. Not the first mistake I have made and certainly not the last!
EDIT: SEPTA said this week there will be an update this coming week - they said they are behind schedule now but expect to get ahead and finish in October.