Railroad Forums 

• Silver Spring passenger yards torn up

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#16256  by CTAA-Rail

Has anyone noticed the construction in the old Silver Spring passenger yards (near the old MARC station)? I've heard before that a fire hall was going to take up a good portion of that and potentially the portal to the purple line light rail to the east and south.

The heyday of those yards must have been impressive, with some B&O intercity and commuter trains ending there instead of Union Station. I think I've read somewhere that a few presidents traveled through that station.

If anyone has any history on this, I'd be interested in hearing it.

#16356  by Trainheartedguy

Its perfectly believable that a few presidents traveled through there. All Ive seen is a model of the old B&O Metropolitan (Now CSX Capitol) Subdivision from Union Station to Brunswick, but knowing the line, it would be very possable.
Its sad to hear that the site of the yards is being built on. Plans are going through up this end of the line to build an 84 lumber on the site of part of the old 6 mile freight yards here.

Ill see what I can find out about the station and that yard when I get a chance.
 #16396  by hutton_switch

Past issues of the B&O RR Historical Society's magazine, The Sentinel have featured some pics and small annecdotes on these yards. The most memorable event was when the public was able to go through the B&O's new "Cincinnatian" that was parked there as a public relations event shortly before it began service in 1947.

It's quite likely that various Presidents went through the Silver Spring station, but the stories that come to mind have Harry Truman going through Union Station and an interesting phantom trip that had the President going on the Georgetown Branch. Bob Withers' The President Travels by Train, available from the B&O RR Historical Society's "Company Store" can give you the full rundown on Presidential travels by rail.