Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by fordhamroad

Last week I noticed several short trains running eastbound in the afternoon rush hour through Pelham, including a four and a five car consist of M-3's. Are there that many cars out of service on the New Haven line?
Roger

by 7 Train

M-3s do not run on the New Haven Line.
  by 4 Express

fordhamroad wrote:Last week I noticed several short trains running eastbound in the afternoon rush hour through Pelham, including a four and a five car consist of M-3's. Are there that many cars out of service on the New Haven line?
Roger
Are you refering to the M2's? And it was probably a short train because it wasn't a train that stopped at many places like some trains only go to New Rochelle stopping at Pelham & Mt. Vernon E. only & others go to Stamford making all stops.
  by fordhamroad

-oops, sorry, typo. Of course M-2's. But I am still curious if others have seen unusually short trains on the line, or whether this was peculiar. Both were full loaded scheduled trains running rush hour commuter schedules. My wife got on at 125th and had to stand.
Roger

by checkthedoorlight

there are lots of 4 and 5 cars running on the New Haven line.

One of them that really deserves to be 6+ is the 7AM to NH out of GCT...that train is always 4 or 5, and it SRO before it even begins to move! If you board at 125 or Fordham, expect to be standing in the vestibule.

by MNRR_RTC

I know that the last couple of days that I worked, there was a shortage of cars due to equipment problems. I can recall many nights where trains are put together as one consist and sent from New Haven to Stamford to make up trains. I also know that on one occasion, trains out of Stamford for the AM ruch were cancelled due to equipment shortage. I figure once The Connecticut Gov't puts it's new transportation bill in effect, New Haven whould get new equipment. All in a day's work for me.

by checkthedoorlight

what is the largest consist of M2/4/6's that can be used for an equipment move? I often see 10-12 car trains on the New Haven line on the weekend, but almost never during the week, so I assume that they couple two sets together for weekend service. I'd love to see a 20 car set pass by some day :-D

by Terminal Proceed

12 cars are the largest train which may be moved on MN. I am referring to MN Passenger trains only.

by Nester

Even with a new transportation bill, it could take years for new equipment to come on-line.

Does anyone know how long it would take for GE to produce new engines (assuming that MN/CDOT could present the requisite 14/15 car order)? I am trying to figure out if new engines and refub/lease cars would be quicker than waiting for an M8.

Nester

by DutchRailnut

MNCR will not run Engines and coaches on MU schedules, it just can't be done.
Only a few limited express runs are now covered by Bombardier trains till new MU's arrive.

by Nester

DutchRailnut wrote:MNCR will not run Engines and coaches on MU schedules, it just can't be done.
Only a few limited express runs are now covered by Bombardier trains till new MU's arrive.
Those few limited runs will be covered by diesel gear for YEARS.

I never said that you could drop them in and act like nothing has happened. Simple physics can demonstrate that one engine with six cars cannot accelerate as fast as 6 in-line motors. Replacement engines and coaches on a slower timetable is better than no service at all.

Nester