Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: JamesT4, metraRI

by tobuadantoq

METRA/UNION PACIFIC WEST LINE TRAIN DELAYS - UPDATED AT 6:40 P.M.
METRA/UNION PACIFIC WEST LINE TRAIN #57 SCHEDULED TO DEPART CHICAGO OGILVIE TRANSPORTATION CENTER AT 5:42 P.M. AND SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE ELBURN AT 7:06 P.M. HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

METRA UNION PACIFIC NORTHWEST LINE TRAINS UPDATE 6:30P.M.
METRA UNION PACIFIC NORTHWEST LINE TRAINS #647, SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE HARVARD AT 7:19P.M. MAY BE OPERATING 40-45 MINUTES LATE ENROUTE DUE TO EARLIER SWITCH PROBLEMS IN CHICAGO.

UNION PACIFIC NORTHWEST LINE TRAINS #649 AND #651 SCHEDULED TO DEPART CHICAGO 5:47 AND 6:01P.M. HAVE NOT DEPARTED CHICAGO DUE TO SWITCH PROBLEMS. THE ESTIMATED TIME OF DELAYS ARE UNKNOWN AT THIS TIME. WE WILL UPDATE INFORMATION AS SOON AS IT BECOMES AVAILABLE.

UPDATED 6:57P.M.
METRA UNION PACIFIC NORTHWEST LINE TRAIN #647, SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE HARVARD AT 7:19P.M. IS CURRENTLY OPERATING 14 MINUTES LATE DUE TO LATE ARRIVAL OF EQUIPMENT.

NORTH CENTRAL SERVICE UPDATE 5:54P.M.
NORTH CENTRAL SERVICE TRAINS TRAVELING INBOUND TO UNION STATION AND OUTBOUND TO ANTIOCH MAY BE OPERATING UP TO 30 MINUTES LATE DUE TO SWITCH PROBLEMS NEAR WESTERN AVENUE.

MILWAUKEE DISTRICT WEST LINE UPDATE AT 5:52P.M.
MILWAUKEE DISTRICT WEST LINE TRAINS TRAVELING INBOUND TO CHICAGO UNION STATION AND OUTBOUND TO ELGIN BIG TIMBER MAY BE OPERATING UP TO 30 MINUTES LATE DUE TO SWITCH PROBLEMS NEAR WESTERN AVENUE.

METRA TRAINS OPERATING 30-50 MINUTES LATE DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS
DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS, WE ANTICIPATE MOST TRAINS WILL OPERATE 30-50 MINUTES LATE. SOME RAIL LINES ARE EXPERIENCING LONGER DELAYS DUE TO WEATHER RELATED SWITCH PROBLEMS. PLEASE SEE EACH RAIL LINE FOR UPDATES.

updated 5:45p.m.

ROCK ISLAND TRAIN DELAYS - UPDATED @ 6:01 P.M.
ROCK ISLAND TRAINS TRAVELING INBOUND TO LASALLE STREET STATION AND OUTBOUND TRAINS TRAVELING TO JOLIET MAY BE OPERATING 30 TO 45 MINUTES LATE ENROUTE, DUE TO SWITCH PROBLEMS NEAR GRESHAM CAUSED BY THE SEVERE WEATHER CONDITIONS. UPDATE 5:05P.M.

UPDATED 6:01P.M.
ROCK ISLAND TRAINS TRAVELING INBOUND TO LASALLE STREET STATION AND OUTBOUND TRAINS TRAVELING TO JOLIET ARE CURRENTLY STOPPED IN THE VICINITY OF GRESHAM STATION DUE TO SIGNAL AND SWITCH PROBLEMS. THE ESTIMATED TIME OF DELAYS ARE UNKNOWN AT THIS TIME. WE WILL UPDATE INFORMATION AS SOON AS IT BECOMES AVAILABLE.

updated @ 6:37 p.m.
ROCK ISLAND TRAINS ARE STILL STOPPED IN THE VICINITY OF THE GRESHAM STATION, DUE TO SWITCH PROBLEMS. TRAINS ARE NOW UP TO 1- 1/2 HOURS LATE. THE ESTIMATED TIME OF THE DELAYS ARE STILL UNKNOWN AT THIS TIME. WE WILL UPDATE INFORMATION AS SOON AS IT BECOMES AVAILABLE.

cheerleader

by tobuadantoq

ROCK ISLAND TRAIN DELAYS - UPDATED AT 7:13 P.M.
ROCK ISLAND TRAINS TRAVELING INBOUND TO LASALLE STREET STATION AND OUTBOUND TRAINS TRAVELING TO JOLIET ARE NOW ON THE MOVE AND MAY BE OPERATING BETWEEN 1 TO 2 HOURS LATE ENROUTE, DUE TO EARLIER SWITCH PROBLEMS AT GRESHAM.

METRA ELECTRIC MAIN LINE AND BLUE ISLAND TRAINS - UPDATED AT 6:45 P.M.
METRA ELECTRIC MAIN LINE TRAINS TRAVELING INBOUND TO MILLENNIUM STATION AND OUTBOUND TRAINS TRAVELING TO UNIVERSITY PARK, MAY BE OPERATING 35 TO 60 MINUTES LATE ENROUTE, DUE TO SWITCH PROBLEMS AT 115TH STREET.

BLUE ISLAND TRAINS TRAVELING INBOUND TO MILLENNIUM STATION AND OUTBOUND TRAINS TRAVELING TO BLUE ISLAND, MAY BE OPERATING 30 TO 60 MINUTES LATE ENROUTE, DUE TO SWITCH PROBLEMS AT 115TH STREET.

UPDATED @ 7:17 P.M.
BLUE ISLAND TRAIN #236 SCHEDULED TO DEPART BLUE ISLAND AT 5:37 P.M. AND SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE MILLENNIUM STATION AT 6:27 P.M., HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

HERITAGE CORRIDOR DELAY UPDATE 7:10P.M.
HERITAGE CORRIDOR TRAIN #921 SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE AT JOLIET AT 7:14P.M. IS OPERATING 35-40 MINUTES BEHIND SCHEDULE DUE TO SIGNAL PROBLEMS. WE WILL UPDATE INFORMATION AS IT IS RECEIVED.

UPDATE 7:22P.M.
HERITAGE CORRIDOR TRAIN #921 SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE AT JOLIET AT 7:14P.M. IS CURRENTLY ON THE MOVE AND OPERATING 65-70 MINUTES BEHIND SCHEDULE DUE TO EARLIER SWITCH PROBLEMS.

UPDATED @ 7:48 P.M.
HERITAGE CORRIDOR TRAIN #921 SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE JOLIET AT 7:14 P.M., MAY BE OPERATING 60 TO 90 MINUTES LATE ENROUTE, DUE TO EARLIER SWITCH PROBLEMS AND MECHANICAL PROBLEMS.

UPDATED @8:36P.M.
HERITAGE CORRIDOR TRAIN #921 SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE JOLIET AT 7:14P.M. IS OPERATING 102 MINUTES BEHIND SCHEDULE DUE TO EARLIER SWITCH PROBLEMS AND MECHANICAL PROBLEMS.

METRA UNION PACIFIC NORTHWEST LINE TRAINS UPDATE 6:30P.M.
METRA UNION PACIFIC NORTHWEST LINE TRAINS #647, SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE HARVARD AT 7:19P.M. MAY BE OPERATING 40-45 MINUTES LATE ENROUTE DUE TO EARLIER SWITCH PROBLEMS IN CHICAGO.

UNION PACIFIC NORTHWEST LINE TRAINS #649 AND #651 SCHEDULED TO DEPART CHICAGO 5:47 AND 6:01P.M. HAVE NOT DEPARTED CHICAGO DUE TO SWITCH PROBLEMS. THE ESTIMATED TIME OF DELAYS ARE UNKNOWN AT THIS TIME. WE WILL UPDATE INFORMATION AS SOON AS IT BECOMES AVAILABLE.

UPDATED 6:57P.M.
METRA UNION PACIFIC NORTHWEST LINE TRAIN #647, SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE HARVARD AT 7:19P.M. IS CURRENTLY OPERATING 48 MINUTES LATE DUE TO LATE ARRIVAL OF EQUIPMENT.
UPDATED 7:15P.M
METRA UNION PACIFIC TRAIN #651 SCHEDULED TO DEPART CHICAGO AT 6:01 HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

cheerleader
Last edited by tobuadantoq on Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by doepack

More info, re: UP/W delays...

-Due to the weather-related switch problems at OTC, 51 left ahead of 49; the former running pretty much on time, while the latter was delayed ~15min.

-57 was cancelled, and it's equipment ran as a 43-mile deadhead all the way to Elburn, where it'll turn to inbound 64. Because of it's late start from downtown, it didn't charge through Wheaton until about 1925, so expect 64 to be at least 30 min. late...

-I'm not sure, but 47 may have run with a 10-car set, missed it again when it came back as 62. (Detector counted 44 axles, but it may have just been doubleheaded early. Will check for sure later...)

-And as I type this, I hear 63 finally making the Wheaton stop, running about 25 min. down. Meaning 66's gonna be late too. Let it snow, let it snow...

by metraRI

The Rock is still dealing with rollover delays from this morning:
ROCK ISLAND TRAIN # 508, SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE LASALLE STREET STATION AT 10:45 A.M., IS OPERATING 30 MINUTES BEHIND SCHEDULE, DUE TO LATE ARRIVAL OF EQUIPMENT FROM EARLIER DELAYS.

by tobuadantoq

METRA/UNION PACIFIC NORTHWEST LINE TRAINS - UPDATED @ 6:23 P.M.
METRA/UNION PACIFIC NORTHWEST LINE TRAINS TRAVELING OUTBOUND TO HARVARD AND MCHENRY AND INBOUND TRAINS TRAVELING TO CHICAGO OGILVIE TRANSPORTATION CENTER, MAY BE OPERATING 10 TO 20 MINUTES LATE ENROUTE, DUE TO EARLIER FREIGHT TRAIN INTERFERENCE.

Metra BNSF Train delay updated 6:25p.m.
MEtra BNSF train #1273 scheduled to arrive Aurora at 6:53p.m. is operating approximately 20-25 minutes late due to a medical emergency.

Metra BNSF Late Departure update 5:55p.m.
Metra BNSF train #1277 scheduled to depart Chicago Union Station at 5:44p.m. for Rt. 59 may be operating up to 20 minutes late due to mechanical problems.

Metra BNSF Late Departure
Metra BNSF train #1277 scheduled to depart Chicago Union Station at 5:44p.m. for Rt. 59 may be operating up to 20 minutes late due to mechanical problems.

Metra BNSF Trains
Metra BNSF trains departing Chicago Union Station after 5:45p.m. and traveling outbound towards Aurora may be operating approximately up to 10 minutes late due to earlier equipment problems with the trains.

updated 6:35p.m.
Outbound trains to Aurora are still operating approximately up to 10 minutes late enroute due to waiting on earlier late trains.

cheerleader

by MetraBNSF

Does it seem that there have been more systemwide meltdowns over the past few weeks than in past years? Over the past few weeks, it seems as if virtually every line has suffered some sort of problem that has significantly affected service. Thoughts...

by doepack

MetraBNSF wrote:Does it seem that there have been more systemwide meltdowns over the past few weeks than in past years? Over the past few weeks, it seems as if virtually every line has suffered some sort of problem that has significantly affected service. Thoughts...
Glad I'm not the only one that's noticed this...

As for this evening's (2/15) delays, Metra chalks it up to a combination of switch problems and various mechanical failures, although much of it is par for the course, since it usually takes Metra a couple of days to recover from a major snowstorm. As for the rash of mechanical breakdowns; maybe it's the extreme weather, or it could be a signal of long-term problems, since the folks in Springfield expect Metra to maintain its equipment on a reduced, shoestring budget. I hope it's just the weather...

But I'm wondering though, about the ongoing switch failures on the Milwaukee district, and what exactly the nature of the problem is. Is there a fault somewhere in the transmission lines between the actual field location and the CCF (Consolidated Control Facility)? Or are some of them still frozen? If it's the latter, doesn't Metra use switch heaters on the lines they operate directly? Anybody that knows, please chime in...

Oh well, at least it's supposed to warm up next week, but whether or not Metra service recovers as well remains to be seen. Guess we'll find out soon enough...

by metraRI

Problems continue still:
ROCK ISLAND TRAIN DELAYS - UPDATED @ 11:21 P.M.
ROCK ISLAND TRAIN #531 SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE JOLIET AT 12:16 A.M., HAS NOW DEPARTED CHICAGO LASALLE STREET STATION AND MAY BE OPERATING 20 TO 25 MINUTES LATE ENROUTE, DUE TO LATE ARRIVING EQUIPMENT FROM EARLIER DELAYS. THIS TRAIN WILL ALSO BE MAKING FLAG STOPS ONLY ALL THE WAY TO JOLIET. PASSENGERS WISHING TO BOARD THIS TRAIN MUST BE ON THE PLATFORM AND MAKE THEMSELVES VISIBLE TO THE ENGINEER IN ORDER FOR THE TRAIN TO STOP.

MILWAUKEE DISTRICT WEST LINE DELAYS UPDATE 10:00P.M.
MILWAUKEE WEST LINE TRAIN #2253 SCHEDULED TO DEPART UNION STATION AT 9:40P.M. AND SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE ELGIN BIG TIMBER 10:59P.M. HAS NOT DEPARTED CHICAGO. THE ESTIMATED TIME OF DELAY WILL BE 40-45 MINUTES LATE OUT OF CHICAGO UNION STATION.

UPDATED 10:20P.M.
MILWAUKEE WEST LINE TRAIN #2253 SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE ELGIN BIG TIMBER AT 10:59P.M. HAS NOW DEPARTED CHICAGO UNION STATION AND MAY BE OPERATING APPROXIMATELY 40-50 MINUTES LATE ENROUTE DUE TO EARLIER SWITCH PROBLEMS IN THE RIVER GROVE AREA.
I am surprised at how well SWS has been in recent days with the amount of switching moves that are made on a single run. RI has had more problems than usual, don't know what thats all about.

by EricL

doepack wrote:But I'm wondering though, about the ongoing switch failures on the Milwaukee district, and what exactly the nature of the problem is. Is there a fault somewhere in the transmission lines between the actual field location and the CCF (Consolidated Control Facility)? Or are some of them still frozen? If it's the latter, doesn't Metra use switch heaters on the lines they operate directly? Anybody that knows, please chime in...
Couldn't tell you. Granted I haven't been working every day, but I've yet to be on a train that got held up at A-2 during this snowy mess. The burners are a-burnin', that's for sure. We've run into intermittent glitches over the past few chilly weeks - had to hand line the route at A-5 one time, and the other day the C&M dispr. was having trouble giving us the light at A-20, but other than that, not much to speak of. I wonder what went wrong at B-12 today... the heaters run out of gas or what??

In other news, it's good to see that Gresham interlocking on the RI continues to be a complete joke. I don't think they even have burners down there, do they?

by metraRI

EricL wrote:In other news, it's good to see that Gresham interlocking on the RI continues to be a complete joke. I don't think they even have burners down there, do they?
Of all the times I have ridden past, I have no idea, it's not something I usually look for. Gresham is however, on Metra's list of things to fix as the interlocking is supposed to be reconfigured sometime in the future. How long, who really knows.. but it is about time the interlocking got some changes.

by doepack

And let's not forget all of the "stalled car on tracks" delays that really seem to spike up in this weather. But again, for some reason, the Milwaukee district seems to be disproportionately affected by these problems, as it conspired to snarl MDW service once again this morning (2/16); as if those commuters haven't suffered enough. I think I can count on one hand the number of times UP/W trains have been delayed for the same reason over the last few years...
EricL wrote:but I've yet to be on a train that got held up at A-2 during this snowy mess. The burners are a-burnin', that's for sure
You can thank UP for that...

by tobuadantoq

METRA BNSF DELAYS UPDATE 5:15P.M.
METRA BNSF TRAIN #1243 SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE AURORA AT 4:55P.M. IS OPERATING 35-40 MINUTES BEHIND SCHEDULE DUE TO EARLIER SWITCH PROBLEMS IN THE HINSDALE AREA.

METRA BNSF TRAINS AFTER 5:00P.M. MAY EXPERIENCE DELAYS OF 5-15 MINUTES DUE TO EARLIER SWITCH PROBLEMS IN THE HINSDALE AREA.

UPDATE 5:30P.M.
METRA BNSF #1288 SCHEDULED TO DEPART AURORA AT 5:20P.M. AND SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE CHICAGO UNION STATION AT 6:38P.M., WILL BE DELAYED DEPARTING AURORA UP TO 20-25 MINUTES.

METRA BNSF TRAIN #1280 SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE CHICAGO UNION STATION AT 5:40P.M. WILL BE OPERATING 15-20 BEHIND SCHEDULE.

UPDATE 6:15P.M.
METRA BNSF TRAIN #1280 SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE CHICAGO UNION STATION AT 5:40P.M. IS STOPPED NEAR CICERO AND IS OPERATING UP TO 45-50 MINUTES BEHIND SCHEDULE.

METRA BNSF TRAIN #1281 SCHEDULED TO DEPART CHICAGO UNION STATION AT 6:00P.M. AND ARRIVING AURORA AT 7:15P.M. IS EXPECTED TO BE DELAYED APROXIMATELY 30-35 MINUTES ARRIVING AURORA.

cheerleader
Last edited by tobuadantoq on Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by MetraBNSF

tobuadantoq wrote:METRA BNSF DELAYS UPDATE 5:15P.M.

UPDATE 5:30P.M.
METRA BNSF #1288 SCHEDULED TO DEPART AURORA AT 5:20P.M. AND SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE CHICAGO UNION STATION AT 6:38P.M., WILL BE DELAYED DEPARTING AURORA UP TO 20-25 MINUTES.
The reason why this train is delayed is it comes off #1243, which goes into Hill, cuts the 4 rear cars, then back to ATC. A "late turn of equipment" applies here.

by MetraBNSF

On the BNSF side, switch failures, mechanical breakdowns, and a pedestrian incident have contributed to delays. Over the past few weeks, the interlockings at Naperville, Hinsdale, and Cicero have had problems. A new westbound signal bridge recently came online at East Naperville, its possible that there are some bugs that might have to be worked out there. As for mechanical failures, I'm led to think there might be issues with the MP36s, I haven't seen as many of them out on the road. The three 11 car sets which almost always gets an MP36 have regularly had an M for power over the past 2 weeks. I've seen 2-3 MP36s laid up at 14th St. each afternoon.

by tobuadantoq

METRA BNSF DELAYS UPDATE 6:30P.M.
METRA BNSF TRAIN #1281 SCHEDULED TO DEPART UNION STATION AT 6:00P.M. ARRIVING IN AURORA AT 7:15P.M. HAS BEEN CANCELLED. TRAIN #1285 SCHEDULED TO DEPART UNION STATION AT 6:20P.M. ARRIVING IN AURORA AT 7:33 P.M. WILL MAKE ALL SCHEDULED STOPS TO AURORA.

METRA BNSF TRAIN #1288 SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE UNION STATION AT 6:38P.M. IS OPERATING APPROXIMATELY 50-55 MINUTES LATE.

METRA BNSF DEPARTING UNION STATION AFTER 6:30 P.M. MAY BE OPERATING 15-30 MINUTES LATE ENROUTE DUE TO EARLIER SWITCH PROBLEMS IN THE HINSDALE AREA AND LATE ARRIVING EQUIPMENT.

cheerleader