Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Rebuilding for the Future Updates

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1605110  by MACTRAXX

Ryan - Will Edens staff the Wawa Station with a clerk during some of the waiting room hours that you mention?
OR - will the Wawa waiting room have automatic locks to open and close doors (some LIRR stations have waiting
rooms equipped in this manner) if the station is unattended?

At closing time at unstaffed LIRR stations (comparison) a warning message to leave the building is broadcast over
the waiting room PA system that an alarm will sound and the (MTA) Police will respond - for a period of about five
minutes at access doors there is a button that will disengage the magnetic door lock if it is needed...Stay longer
means dealing with the alarm noise and waiting for the MTA PD to get out - and perhaps a trespass summons...

Everyone - Good enthusiast turnout for the first day service on the RRD Media-Wawa Line extension...
Let's see how weekday ridership levels with added service turns out to be - but remember that this is still
August and the service to Wawa Station is new - Give it at least two months for further establishment...

PHL - The Wawa Station is in a exurban area...As you likely know Media (4 miles east) has plenty of venues
to eat and drink within reasonable distance to the RRD station - and better yet Route 101 which goes right
through the center of town...On the other hand if one needs their WAWA fix two store locations near the
Wawa Station are mentioned on signs with directions on Baltimore Pike/US 1 :wink:...MACTRAXX
 #1605115  by ryan92084

Automatic doors. They are having ambassadors in the morning to help out riders but i think that is just for this week. The same lock system has been installed on many stations but the vast majority are not active. No closing time announcement for the time being at least but there are still a lot of workers in and out so if such a system exists it may just not be turned on. The original plan was for people to be able to use their key cards to open doors all day instead of a timer but no clue what the status of that plan is.
 #1605125  by scratchyX1

MACTRAXX wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:24 pm Ryan - Will Edens staff the Wawa Station with a clerk during some of the waiting room hours that you mention?
OR - will the Wawa waiting room have automatic locks to open and close doors (some LIRR stations have waiting
rooms equipped in this manner) if the station is unattended?

At closing time at unstaffed LIRR stations (comparison) a warning message to leave the building is broadcast over
the waiting room PA system that an alarm will sound and the (MTA) Police will respond - for a period of about five
minutes at access doors there is a button that will disengage the magnetic door lock if it is needed...Stay longer
means dealing with the alarm noise and waiting for the MTA PD to get out - and perhaps a trespass summons...

Everyone - Good enthusiast turnout for the first day service on the RRD Media-Wawa Line extension...
Let's see how weekday ridership levels with added service turns out to be - but remember that this is still
August and the service to Wawa Station is new - Give it at least two months for further establishment...

PHL - The Wawa Station is in a exurban area...As you likely know Media (4 miles east) has plenty of venues
to eat and drink within reasonable distance to the RRD station - and better yet Route 101 which goes right
through the center of town...On the other hand if one needs their WAWA fix two store locations near the
Wawa Station are mentioned on signs with directions on Baltimore Pike/US 1 :wink:...MACTRAXX
Were sidwalks completed so that people can walk to places to/from the station?
And are there now nearby bus stops, which are more than cleared out dirt next to a busy road?
 #1605159  by ryan92084

The septa property sidewalks are done i think but connections on/to other properties are not. Yes the station has a dedicated bus stop with shelter on the other side of the drop off area from the waiting room but it isn't in use yet.
 #1605283  by MACTRAXX

PHL - Thanks for that information about the "Town Hall" for a possible BSL extension northeastwards...
The PATH venue is located just west of the intersection of Cottman and Castor Avenues - easily reached
by Routes 59 and 70...The time noted is 9 AM until 12 Noon...

First - I believe this meeting should have been scheduled in September...Saturday-Sunday August 27-28 is
just one week ahead of Labor Day weekend - the unofficial ending of the Summer season...A September
date may attract more interest to this TH instead of competing with Summer weekend activities...

Second - It will be interesting to see how this latest BSL extension proposal is recepted by Northeast
Philadelphia residents remembering past NIMBY opposition that was at least in part along racial
grounds has kept any BSL extension to "The Great Northeast" (as some referred to NE Philadelphia)
from getting past the initial discussion phase let alone having any chance of actually being built...

Will there be any pronounced NIMBY opposition to this new BSL plan? MACTRAXX
 #1605308  by BuddCar711

Well I'm going to the town hall. My question would be that the original plans for the Boulevard Branch called for terminating at Rhawn Street, and if that's still the plan, because I feel it should go at least to Byberry Road with stops at Welsh Road and Grant Avenue. Don't worry, I'll drown out the NIMBYs.
 #1605317  by PHLSpecial

Same here, I expect a good crowd of transit nerds!
One thing I'm going to push for is using the BSL line. On a interview on whyy with rep Jared Solomon kept mentioning monorail. We need to make it clear to use rail. I will be there on Saturday
 #1605434  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - It will be interesting to see how this TH turns out...and which parts of NE Philadelphia any NIMBY
opponents reside in - with the changes in demographics in "The Greater Northeast" over the past 30 or more
years there may be more support for a BSL extension or some type of rail service in the Roosevelt Boulevard
corridor - as example DVARP is for a BSL extension and will have members attending the TH presentation.

Scratch - How did you come up with the 1966 NYC M-497 jet-powered RDC test car? (OFF TOPIC)
For those interested RR.Net in the New York Central Forum - Fallen Flags section/Page 13 - there was a
discussion about the M-497 - which set a speed record of 183.6 MPH on July 23, 1966 near Bryan, Ohio.
whatever-happened-to-the-jet-powered-rd ... t4448.html
(35 posts/3 pages; July 14, 2004 to January 17, 2005 - This topic dates from before I joined RR.Net in 2/2005)
Note the posts from Designer and Engineer of the M-497 Don Wetzel (passed away in November 2019).

The test area was west of Toledo, Ohio on a straight level route known as the "Air Line" which is primarily
in the NW corner of Ohio into northeastern Indiana - Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited runs on this route...
The July 2016 issue of Railfan & Railroad had an article on the M-497 written by Otto Vondrak...

There was a related subject about the NYCS creating a jet-powered snow blower during the 1960s...
(NYC Forum-Page 4 - 2 pages/22 posts; December 8, 2014 to May 30, 2015)
nyc-jet-snow-blower-t158287.html
(ends off-topic reply post)

RCT - I agree with you that a monorail is just not practical for the Roosevelt Boulevard Corridor...
A BSL (or maybe a MFL) extension serving Northeast Philadelphia makes the most sense...MACTRAXX
 #1605544  by BuddCar711

Well the townhall went well, and there was overwhelming support for the subway. They had a poll, and the choices were:

DO NOT CHANGE
SUBWAY
MORE BUS ROUTES
ELEVATED RAILWAY

DNC received 0 votes
SUBWAY was the overwhelming winner with ER coming in at 2nd and MBR received a few votes. They should throw the idea for a monorail out the window (a monorail would be good for downtown for the tourists, but for heavy transit, no). Somone in the audience did point out that there should have been a SEPTA representative in the panel. Of course there was at least one NIMBY, but the the support is there.