Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Rebuilding for the Future Updates

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1598412  by ExCon90

It's been discussed at length in this forum that SEPTA has no operating rights outside the area which is taxed to support the service: Philadelphia, Bucks, Montgomery, Delaware, and Chester Counties. (The State of Delaware kicks in something for the Wilmington/Newark service.) Extending SEPTA service to any of these other places would require those jurisdictions to bring money to the table, and there doesn't seem to be any movement in that direction, nor any inclination in the Legislature to deal with the situation on a statewide basis.
 #1598433  by rcthompson04

mcgrath618 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:04 pm Have you ridden the Keystone before? It's quite a nice train.

The Pennsylvanian is also quite nice. I've never been later than half an hour, and the delays have always been NS's fault.

I also think all of the NEC services are quite nice. So I don't really get the argument that SEPTA somehow would provide better service, and I work there.
Yes for what Pennsylvania pays for Amtrak provides a good service that hits the sweet spot of commuters, day travelers, etc...
 #1598883  by mcgrath618

By the way, something that you should all be writing to your local elected representatives about is SEPTA adopting low-level ADA compliant EMUs (thing Stadler KISS EMUs). It would eliminate a large chunk of their maintenance backlog and would prevent architecturally significant stations (Wynnewood, all of the CHW/CHE, etc) from being ruined with high level platforms.

SEPTA is considering them as a SLVI, but it isn't a done deal. A push needs to be made to send them in the right direction.
 #1598899  by scratchyX1

mcgrath618 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:39 pm By the way, something that you should all be writing to your local elected representatives about is SEPTA adopting low-level ADA compliant EMUs (thing Stadler KISS EMUs). It would eliminate a large chunk of their maintenance backlog and would prevent architecturally significant stations (Wynnewood, all of the CHW/CHE, etc) from being ruined with high level platforms.

SEPTA is considering them as a SLVI, but it isn't a done deal. A push needs to be made to send them in the right direction.
I mean, Califonia just got them, they are a proven design, and they could work with both level platforms, controlled from the cab.
 #1598927  by RandallW

I thought the Caltrain EMUs were not level boarding for the NEC high level platforms because CAHSR specified a different platform height than used in the east coast.
 #1598985  by mcgrath618

RandallW wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:59 pm I thought the Caltrain EMUs were not level boarding for the NEC high level platforms because CAHSR specified a different platform height than used in the east coast.
Stadler is working on a version that would be NEC-Compliant.
 #1598986  by PHLSpecial

mcgrath618 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:37 am
RandallW wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:59 pm I thought the Caltrain EMUs were not level boarding for the NEC high level platforms because CAHSR specified a different platform height than used in the east coast.
Who else would order this? I doubt Marc and MBTA would.
 #1598994  by scratchyX1

PHLSpecial wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:56 am
mcgrath618 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:37 am
Who else would order this? I doubt Marc and MBTA would.
It would be perfect for joint MARC/VRE service, if wires go up on the former RF&P.
 #1598996  by PHLSpecial

scratchyX1 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:53 amIt would be perfect for joint MARC/VRE service, if wires go up on the former RF&P.
Oh that's exciting if the wires go up between DC and Richman I assume? And amazing if they did through running trains in DC. I would think NJT would benefit from this order as well?

As for us. I guess I'm open to the idea of a double decker EMU. At least it's a proven car in the EU.
 #1599967  by zebrasepta

There's been talks about how to get the West Chester branch running again for commuter service.
https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail/new ... st-chester
Jun. 15—WEST CHESTER — At Tuesday's work session meeting, Borough Council gave an informal go-ahead, to the Committee to Reestablish Rail Service to West Chester, to continue developing a plan to connect the borough with Philadelphia via commuter rail.

The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission forecast that restored direct service in 2035 would attract 1,910 weekday riders. A shuttle service to Wawa requiring a transfer would produce 1,350 weekday riders.

The committee pitched using battery-powered, zero-emission trains, which would make the expensive task of electrifying the existing rail line between Wawa and West Chester unnecessary.