Railroad Forums 

• Sending MARC to WIlmington

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#82486  by Bensalem SEPTA rider

I think it would be a good idea to extend the MARC to Wilmington DE so You would have a continuos Commuter rail system from DC to NYC. Sorta like a local Amtrak. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

#93163  by Eltingville SINY

I think it would be great.

Question though - are there any stops between Baltimore and and Wilimington (aside from the SEPTA stop at Newark behind the Chrysler plant). If not, then some folks would ask "why?'.

#93626  by walt

The biggest stop between Baltimore and Wilmington would be Aberdeen, MD., and maybe Perry Hall, MD. These, of course are already in MARC territory. As for Delaware, something providing a connection into Newark & the University of Delaware might be helpful, but I suspect that between Newark and Wilmington, stops would have to be established and new stations built.

#96896  by MACTRAXX

Guys: GREAT IDEA!! I think that thru service to Wilmington would work fine - I think that DelDot would be responsive to expanded service to Newark,Churchmans Crossing and Wilmington. If they are scheduled correctly,transfers to SEPTA regional rail would work fine. I noticed that DelDot is more receptive to SEPTA than in the past - In my opinion,all Marcus Hook trains should be extended to Wilmington 7 days a week. I think that the need and ridership is there. Another new MARC station can be Elkton - How does the station look today? Could any more new stops be implemented elsewhere? Can a ticketing agreement for transfers be implemented? In Short- LET'S DO IT! MACTRAXX

#96904  by AmtrakFan

I think that would be a good idea if there was the demand which their is with the College in Newark.

#97985  by Ken W2KB

Any such service would include a market survey, so stations could be located where most advantageous, not necessarily in the traditional spot. That said, it does seem that it could provide a valuable service. That would leave only the Providence, RI to Shoreline east terminus stretch of the NEC without local service.

#101705  by hsr_fan

I remember seeing an abandoned station not too far south of Wilmington, DE. Anyone know the story behind that?

#104734  by MACTRAXX

Guys: I neglected to mention the main reason for MARC trains to operate to Wilmington: Amtrak maintains the AEM7s and HHP8s under contract at the WIL shop. As I mentioned,DelDot would be more than likely to support financially increased rail service to New Castle County. MACTRAXX

#124759  by AEM7Fan

walt wrote:The biggest stop between Baltimore and Wilmington would be Aberdeen, MD., and maybe Perry Hall, MD.
I'm guessing when you say Perry Hall, you mean Perryville, which is the end of the line for MARC trains northbound on the Corridor.

#124910  by Usafcop580

But how many of the stops would be profitable? At Perry Point, you would get alot of Veterans going to the VA hospital? Newark has a stop and a majority of folks who go to UDel generally have cars which they do not want to give up.

#125349  by walt

AEM7Fan wrote:
walt wrote:The biggest stop between Baltimore and Wilmington would be Aberdeen, MD., and maybe Perry Hall, MD.
I'm guessing when you say Perry Hall, you mean Perryville, which is the end of the line for MARC trains northbound on the Corridor.
You're right---- I stand corrected :-)

#184437  by Carmine

Yeah, I was thinking about this last night. I wanted to go from NYP to WAS without using Amtrak, but then I was wondering how'd I get from a SEPTA train, which usually goes only as far down as Wilmington, to any of the MARC stations?

Oh well. What happens, happens!

#185021  by njtmnrrbuff

Good idea. That way, one could go between NYC and DC via commuter trains. The seats might not be as comfortable as Amtrak but better than a bus. In addition, one would have to change more than twice. Good idea, change Septa's regional rail patterns, like have every Septa train on the corridor run between Trenton and Wilmington or even Newark. That would enable two transfers. No one would want to transfer too meny times but two transfers isn't so bad.
 #185437  by skm

If you really wanted to transfer from Wilmington to the Marc Stations in Aberdeen or Perryville, you could take Greyhound. The station is accross the street. I did it once (in a jam), several years ago from Aberdeen to Wilmington when my carpool buddy failed to show. (I got lucky with the schedule.) I transferred to the R2 to Ridley Park.