Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#222107  by etna9726b

I'll have a few hours to kill in Chicago, and thought about taking an evening ride up the UP/N to North Chicago or Waukegan. Can anyone recommend a nice bar/nice neighborhood within walking distance of one of the Metra stations?

Thanks,

Etna

#222112  by Amtrak31

Hi Etna,

Mundelein is very close to the downtown area. I was just there recently. It's a real nice town. The station is a little east of the downtown area. I'd say it's only about two or three blocks. I hope this helps. Take care, and have fun!

#222154  by Tadman

I hear north Chicago is sort of rough - not sure, but you may want to research before hopping of a train in a unfamiliar area.

#222201  by Metra 47 607

Hi Etna Mundelein is not on the UP/N it is on the North Central service. North Chicago or Waukegan are NOT recommended there are not ant resturants near either of those stations and the neighborhoods are bad. I would recommend Wilmette, Highland Park or Lake Forest. Lake forest has a place called the lantern and its only about a block north of the station.
 #222211  by meh

Amtrak31 wrote:Mundelein is very close to the downtown area. I was just there recently. It's a real nice town. The station is a little east of the downtown area. I'd say it's only about two or three blocks. I hope this helps.
Mundelein is not served by the UP North line. (It is approximately eight miles west, on the parallel North Central line. There was once a branch of the North Shore interurban that split off of what's now the UP-N at Lake Bluff and served Muldelein, but that is now a bike path.) See the Metra system map at http://metrarail.com/System_map/index.html

Many of the towns along the UP North line do have nice retail areas directly adjacent to their Metra stations. You should easily find something good near most of them, such as Wilmette, Winnetka, Ravinia, Highland Park, Highwood, Lake Forest.... Highwood is especially known for its Italian restaurants. At one time it was one of the few non-dry communities in the area, enhancing the appeal of its restaurants.

#222470  by etna9726b

Thanks all. Appreciate the advice.

#222553  by Tadman

PRR - that's why I stay the heck out of Kensington unless I have business there. My work in that area is usually either closer to 87/lakefront or down on lake calumet, but I accidently drove past Kensington in the car once - some burned out cars, and rough looking buildings. Not my cup of tea.