Railroad Forums 

• Seat checks - how do they work?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#737847  by Steve F45

everytime i've taken a train on the PVL or BCL, they've used the hole puncher. I've never understood the system, it always seemed like they would just go nuts with the number of holes in the ticket.
 #737922  by wolfboy8171981

Jtgshu wrote:
jimzim66 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:There is a "basic" system that the same rules work in either direction for each stop, but most guys put a twist on it of some sorts.

In the "good ol days" when i wore the hat - some guys would run a bunch of holes down the middle of the seatcheck for the airport (think a runway). Other guys would fold in half longways for EWR - I used to tear a corner off for EWR. a sideways tear about 1/4 of the way down was common for Elizabeth, as it is such a popular stop, its easier than punching the proper number.

It also depends on the type of train if it is an express or not as to what kind of seatcheck method is used to throw another wrinkle into it :)

Its supposed to be slightly complicated to keep folks from catching on and having their own stash of seatchecks and stealing rides - yes some people do that....
The good ol days? Wow Jt, youre making yourself seem old.
HAHAHA, yea the days BEFORE Multilevels, BEFORE "The Rock" and BEFORE the "Sport line" :)
Hey Hey!! We dont have enough wiskers yet to remember the good ol days yet.
 #737924  by Jtgshu

Very true Wolf, but Im sure many will agree with me, especially Mcmannors, that the "good ol days" were pre Multilevels :) hahahaha. I know many guys are "longing for those days gone by.........." :)
 #737936  by thebigc

The good old days were pre-Midtown Direct for me. Back then, opening a third car on the weekend was an epic event.
 #737937  by Patrick Boylan

Are you saying that a crew's life was easier when there were not enough passengers to require opening a 3rd car? Imagine how easy the job would be then if there were no passengers.
 #738053  by Amtrak7

Wait, on those MNR seat checks, it would work for zones 1-20. What about 20, 21, 31, 41, 42, or 51? (the NH branches)
 #738061  by RearOfSignal

Amtrak7 wrote:Wait, on those MNR seat checks, it would work for zones 1-20. What about 20, 21, 31, 41, 42, or 51? (the NH branches)
Zone 20 is the 0, Zone 21 is New Haven, so most guys either use the 1 or flip the seat check upside down(like me). Zone 31, just a seat check down, no punch, it's not that busy, you can usually just eyeball them as they get on. Don't work the Danbury or Waterbury, put I would think it's pretty much the same.
Keevan wrote: Maybe they just have very good memories, or some mental tricks.
Depends on the the train. On some trains if it's an express you might just seat check "heads" or "empties". Sometimes you put seat checks down just to make it look like you're actually keeping track, but really you're just randomly putting them down.
 #738132  by fishmech

RearOfSignal wrote:
Keevan wrote: Maybe they just have very good memories, or some mental tricks.
Depends on the the train. On some trains if it's an express you might just seat check "heads" or "empties". Sometimes you put seat checks down just to make it look like you're actually keeping track, but really you're just randomly putting them down.
I tell you what, I went into and out of NYC (by NJ Transit, not MN) a few months back by train and in both directions the conductors (two different one) just put a seat check by my seat and didn't even take my ticket.
 #738152  by philipmartin

gardendance wrote:Are you saying that a crew's life was easier when there were not enough passengers to require opening a 3rd car? Imagine how easy the job would be then if there were no passengers.
I was working in the engine terminal in North Bergen in 1956, and I saw lots of trains go by on the West Shore with no passengers.
 #738160  by philipmartin

I used to ride trains from Morristown to Newark. Seat checks are torn at the top to indicate Newark Broad St. One day I got on a train and sat down, and some previous passenger's old seat check was in the clip in front of me. So I tore the top, because I was going to Newark. I figured I'd save the conductor the trouble. I was wearing my pass-ID around my neck. When the old conductor came around, he got the funniest look on his face, as though he was dealing with a fare beater. But I had my pass, so he didn't call the cops.
When I was working Morristown tickets, trainmen would occasionally come in, asking if I had seat checks. So I got a box from Dover, grey ones, and gave them out when needed. In an emergency, any color will do.
 #738179  by Don31

Jtgshu wrote:Its supposed to be slightly complicated to keep folks from catching on and having their own stash of seatchecks and stealing rides - yes some people do that....
I'll keep a seat check every once in a while, they make good bookmarks.....
 #738188  by WaitinginSJ

Don31 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:Its supposed to be slightly complicated to keep folks from catching on and having their own stash of seatchecks and stealing rides - yes some people do that....
I'll keep a seat check every once in a while, they make good bookmarks.....
Not going to lie, I've gotten a few strange looks from conductors when they saw that I was doing that.
 #738294  by loufah

On lightly loaded trains, where there's unlikely to be two or three passengers per seat, they often just punch my TVM-issued ticket and use it as a seat check.

Up until maybe 10 years ago, on some rush hour trains inbound from Dover the conductors did not issue seat checks to passengers with monthly passes; the passengers were expected to leave the passes on display in the seat check clips the entire trip (and hopefully remember to take them when they got off).
 #738298  by ScottTheNiceGuy

I always liked how crews south of Long Branch(either on the shuttles going from Long Branch or the 2300 trains from Hoboken)would never use the tickets and just remember who got on. That gets a lot of respect in my book. :-D