Railroad Forums 

• Seashore Lines still not running

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#271363  by PRSL1972

The problem is this. NJT owns the line. You have a private guy running on the line. NJT should do the passenger end of service and let tony run his freight and his excursion service. In all reality look what has happened, no pass service till 7/22 from rich to tuck and no cape may service. If NJT was commited to south jersey the bridge would have been fixed and the people would not be screaning for an alt. way for transportation. People are not going to ride a bus. That is just as bad as riding a taxi.

#271370  by JimBoylan

BrianM wrote:
CJPat wrote:There are other RR out there that would want to run the line, I am sure. If business is there, they will come.
When I worked for The Shore Fast Line in the early 1980, Mr. McHugh thought ConRail's operations to the Cape May Court House lumber yard were competition to SFLR's operations to the lumber yard in North Linwood. He was falling over himself turning down requests to take over the Cape May Branch and drawbridge from ConRail. Later, when the next set of managers discovered that even though both lumber yards were the same company, the business wasn't going to be consolidated, SFLR started running to Cape May Court House! Later, all of the business disappeared and SFLR retreated.
 #271401  by Douglas John Bowen

We'd note Cape May Seashore Lines has stayed the course through a difficult decade when it comes to a presence on the Cape May Branch south of Tuckahoe.

Other entities (companies or otherwise) may talk the talk. We at NJ-ARP haven't been besieged by calls from other railroads chomping at the bit to provide passenger rail service -- of any kind, mind you, "regular" or (add the proper French shrug/sneer here) "tourist."

All that said, we hope we can retire the headline of this thread shortly, as CMSL re-establishes its presence on the branch -- at least on one stretch -- during 2006.

We at NJ-ARP thank everyone here for their earnest counsel. Back to work we go.

#271556  by DougD

And evidently still not running... Came through Richland 15 mins. ago. Big green sign on ticket booth, Train Cancelled, resume 7/29 or something to that effect. Don't see anything yet on CMSL or BVT websites.

DougD

#271564  by JJMDiMunno

Hello guys,
OK...I've finished running through the hundreds of posts here that were negative in nature...and cleaned out what needs to be cleaned out. I'm unlocking this thread at this time...but will closely monitor what happens here to insure this dosen't happen again...

We need to be positive here, guys...negativity is not going to help things. And we also need to remember, that the CMSL is a private company and probably has issues beyond our comprenension...namely insurance, and legal issues which they may not be willing to discuss with the public.

Therefore, I ask once again for only FACTUAL information (such as a simple "yes" or "no" if service has resumed). Speculation is not necessary guys, and tends to create more problems than good...

Thanks for your cooperation.

Mike DiMunno
Forum Moderator

#271649  by DougD

The postponement is now posted on the CMSL website.

DougD

#271746  by JoeBas

Maybe not the best day for it weather wise, but alas, my flight leaves Monday... one (actually 4, with my family) opportunity lost...

#272354  by glennk419

I swung by Tuckahoe on Friday and was delighted to see the yard buzzing with activity and the RDC's idling away. Unfortunately the Saturday start-up was not to be as some air brake problems were discovered and it looked unlikely that they would be running this weekend, as we all now know occurred. The crews were cordial yet obviously dissappointed along with the rest of us, lets hope for better luck next week.

On a positive note, the weatherman blew the forecast for Saturday afternoon and the predicted washout gave way to beautiful blue skies and a nice breeze for this year's Night in Venice in OC.

#272970  by JoeBas

Yeah, this was a pretty big dissapointment as I was up on vacation for only the week, and won't be around to ride it next week.

And I wasn't too happy with the weatherman, either, as we postponed the family trip to OC to Sunday for "Better weather", and Saturday turned out great! Of course, Saturday would have been a zoo anyway with NIV, and I did get to ride down to AC instead and have a little "Grown up" fun at the shore at Borgata. :-D

Oh, and the forecast wasn't TOTALLY blown... as parts of Camden County did get a washout on Saturday -- LITERALLY! :D

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27287

#273099  by BrianM

JoeBas wrote:Yeah, this was a pretty big dissapointment as I was up on vacation for only the week, and won't be around to ride it next week.

And I wasn't too happy with the weatherman, either, as we postponed the family trip to OC to Sunday for "Better weather", and Saturday turned out great! Of course, Saturday would have been a zoo anyway with NIV, and I did get to ride down to AC instead and have a little "Grown up" fun at the shore at Borgata. :-D

Oh, and the forecast wasn't TOTALLY blown... as parts of Camden County did get a washout on Saturday -- LITERALLY! :D

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27287

Next to being a father, trains are my "Grown up" fun.

Brian

#273222  by PRSL1972

I agree

#273586  by kevikens

Guys, I just wanted to say something off topic but related to the statement about trains being the second most important thing in your life after fatherhood. That's probably true for me too. My daughters are long grown up and moved on to careers and lives of their own. Unlike my father and me railfanning back in steam days I could never get my daughters interested in the hobby unless the hot spot was next to a mall (Jersey girls) but as it turned out they subsequently were responsible for me getting to railfan out of the Philly area. As they went to school and then on to new jobs I would use their new locations as an excuse to visit them. Naturally I arranged for visits to local train spots and over the past 10-12 years have been able to expand my interests north to New England and the NYC metro area and later to the West Coast. A few years ago I even had the chance to drive one of them cross country from Boston to San Francisco. It was amazing what a bit of pre-planning was able to do in the way of paralleling rail traffic across the country. Anyway I don't know how old you guys might be and the age of your children but it is quite possible that even if right now they are not facillitating your railfanning that just might chamge later on, that is, your putting your children first now may just pay off handsomely later on in terms of railfanning.

#274176  by prsl7668

Is it possible that trains aren't running between Cold Springs and Cape May Courthouse because the FRA did a track check and found they were too bad to run trains over it?