Railroad Forums 

• SD40 4617 still painted C&O... until NOW

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#133659  by AmtrakFan

Cool Catch!

#133665  by CSX ENG

It is currently being used in the Chicago area....

#134244  by catfoodflambe

it speaks well for the sheet metal fabrication section at Lagrange back in early 1970's, eh?

#134346  by SEPTALRV9072

If CSX were smart they would restore that scheme to it's full grandure.

#134419  by railohio

SEPTALRV9072 wrote:If CSX were smart they would restore that scheme to it's full grandure.
Absolutely. We all know it's in their best interest to keep the foamers happy...
 #588895  by SOU2645

It is now in fresh YN3. I posted a pic on Trainorders. 2667 was scheduled for painting too (last SBD unit).
Larry
 #589187  by Leo_Ames

She looks nice in new paint, hopefully its a sign she'll be around for a little while longer. The way she was before, I always assumed she very well could be the next unit on the retirement list.

Be cool if she got preserved someday. I believe she's basically a unrebuilt SD40? That's pretty rare on a Class 1 these days, combined with carrying her original paintscheme so long, makes her seem more special than your typical SD40.
 #690247  by Leo_Ames

I was curious if anyone could post a update for this unit in light of the economic downturn that has led to widespread storage of units and many newer Dash 2's being let go by carriers, including CSX? Last updates I saw still had her in service down in Florida back in March.

I know her and her three SD40 sisters were in MOW service as of her repainting and are to be retired when a major failure happens, but I hope it doesn't happen for a while.

Thanks