Railroad Forums 

• Scrapping has begun

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1431330  by Chris Brown

dcmike wrote:I received word earlier this week that Metro plans on grounding any remaining 1000 and 4000 series cars at the end of June when the service changes go in to effect. Time is running out to get in that last ride on either one of these cars if that's important to you.
Wow! That's much earlier than I would of expected. Was planning to still be able to ride a 1k or 4k car into September or October.

Seems the 7k's are quickly becoming the workhorses of the fleet. Just hope WMATA isn't pushing the 7k's too hard in effort to scrap the older cars faster.
 #1433740  by smallfire85

This past Wednesday, 4040 and 4041 were at Greenbelt, loaded up on trailers to be scrapped. This is the first time I've seen 4ks sent out for scrapping. There are a bunch of 4ks staged at Greenbelt for scrapping.
 #1436626  by DC Railfanner

smallfire85 wrote:This past Wednesday, 4040 and 4041 were at Greenbelt, loaded up on trailers to be scrapped. This is the first time I've seen 4ks sent out for scrapping. There are a bunch of 4ks staged at Greenbelt for scrapping.
I was on a school field trip and saw 4040/4041 on trucks on the Beltway.
 #1436873  by MCL1981

I can finally get on the train anywhere in the consist. I used to walk to the ends (first two or last two) so no matter what mixed up consist pulled in to the station, I was assured a car that wouldn't implode on itself in a crash.
 #1437542  by smallfire85

MCL1981 wrote:I can finally get on the train anywhere in the consist. I used to walk to the ends (first two or last two) so no matter what mixed up consist pulled in to the station, I was assured a car that wouldn't implode on itself in a crash.
Did the 2/3K's have their frames reinforced when they were overhauled? From what I've read, the 2's 3's and 4's had collision capabilities not far from the 1K's due to their original design. The Shady Grove collision in 1996 involved all 3000 series cars: https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/Acc ... AR9604.pdf

SF85
 #1439115  by Chris Brown

I've noticed there are still lots of 1k cars on Metro property. The Rhode Island Avenue rail yard has a few of them just sitting around.

Also, has the money train been updated to a newer series yet or is WMATA still using the same 1k pair?
 #1439135  by smallfire85

Chris Brown wrote:I've noticed there are still lots of 1k cars on Metro property. The Rhode Island Avenue rail yard has a few of them just sitting around.

Also, has the money train been updated to a newer series yet or is WMATA still using the same 1k pair?
Yeah, there's 1k and 4k cars sitting at most of the yards, waiting their turn to ship up to Greenbelt to ship out. Greenbelt doesn't have the capacity to hold all the cars tagged for scrapping while storing revenue service trains also.

Metro is still using 1k cars for the money train. There are currently 6 cars in the revenue collection fleet. They added a converted 1k pair last year. They are currently converting a 6k pair to add to the revenue collection fleet.
 #1440362  by dcmike

That's correct, 1000-1001 and 4000-4001 are being preserved. Overhaul work has already begun on the Rohr pair.

1092-1093 was converted to 8004-8005. 6182-6183 are currently undergoing conversion but have not yet been assigned a new number.
 #1440368  by YOLO

Surprising they are preserving the 4Ks. Is it the goal to preserve the x000-x001 of every series in the future?

Are more 6Ks going to be converted to money cars so the existing 8000 series can be scrapped?
 #1440390  by Chris Brown

YOLO wrote:Surprising they are preserving the 4Ks. Is it the goal to preserve the x000-x001 of every series in the future?
Not sure what the purpose of preserving the 4k cars would be. I can see the 5k (5000-5001) since they were the first to have LED signs and a different interior color scheme. I guess maybe since 4000-4001 are the first Bretas to not undergo rehabilitation and the only series of Bretas still in their original form? Beats me.

My guess is for historic reasons. In 100 years it will probably make more sense. People will look back at the primitive junk people were riding in during the early 90's and gasp at the horror lol.