• Scenic places to take pics in Chicagoland

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by Cowford

Anyone have any suggestions on some scenic locations (urban or bucolic is ok) to take pics of freight equipment in the greater Chicago area. Interested more in the location than a spot with with high activity.

Thanks!
  by doepack

The bridge over the Highlands station in Hinsdale on BNSF is a popular spot, and you can get some pretty good shots of UP action in Wheaton, especially along the adjacent prairie path. Depending on how far you're willing to travel, there's plenty of scenic locations available on the CP/DME (ex-Milwaukee Road, and IC&E most recently) single track line west of Elgin...
  by Engineer Spike

I am most familiar with the BNSF, and therefor second Highlands. If you have access to a car, I think that BNSF's C&I line is great west of Oregon. There is White Pines State Park just west of there. They have hiking trails that lead to scenic views of the tracks. In general, the whole area of NW Ill. is pretty hilly and scenic. Even the area along the Mississippi River between Savanna and the Wisc. boarder is worth the 2-2.5 hr. drive from the city.
  by Engineer Spike

I am most familiar with the BNSF, and therefor second Highlands. If you have access to a car, I think that BNSF's C&I line is great west of Oregon. There is White Pines State Park just west of there. They have hiking trails that lead to scenic views of the tracks. In general, the whole area of NW Ill. is pretty hilly and scenic. Even the area along the Mississippi River between Savanna and the Wisc. boarder is worth the 2-2.5 hr. drive from the city. The IC/CN and ICE/CP in that area would be worthwhile too.