Railroad Forums 

• Sayreville Runner

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1364804  by jDubz411

SA2 was delayed yesterday as a downed tree completely blocked the tracks just outside the Silver Line property. They sat for over an hour before crews could come and clear the way for them.
 #1364824  by ccutler

Thanks for posting about the delay. How many cars did they bring in for Silverline?
 #1364851  by jDubz411

I believe it was 7. I did not physically count the cars but the crew over the radio were complaining that the extra long hopper cars and the lack of track available makes it real difficult to work.

Silver Line typically just switches out 3 cars per week now, but with the holidays, this time it was more. I've seen in the past that if it is a lot of cars, the crews will split the job into 2 days.

SA2 has been hard to track as of late. Timing is irregular and they do not necessarily sound the horn at each of the crossings on the property which has been a signal for me at least to know they are working the area.
 #1364956  by jDubz411

Correction.

Looking at photos I took, there were 4 hopper cars plus the splat car. There were most likely 5 already cars in the factory. Did not have time to process the images tonight, but hopefully I will get time in the next few days.
 #1394644  by jDubz411

Heard the train horns as they came through Milltown today. They sounded odd and I thought it might be a MOW unit. When I listened to the radio, I heard engineer mention not having enough room with 2 engines. It seemed odd, so I grabbed my camera to go investigate and sure enough, there they were. I tried scouting 4 locations that could fit the 2 units in frame before going to Gillespie as the train headed back to Browns:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/584098/

Any ideas why they would have 2 engines? I am not sure how this train looked coming out of Browns. Maybe it was a bigger train and they dropped off a bunch of cars before heading to Silver Line?