Railroad Forums 

• Salt Lake City, Utah: Frontrunner

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#433790  by ljeppson

I added a picture of the Frontrunner ballast train to my website, one of the fancier ballast trains you will ever see.

#433933  by ljeppson

I'm not sure who at UTA came up with the idea. Only the side shown has the Frontrunner passenger train mock-up. This is the side which faces I-15. The opposite side of the train just displays "Herzog." It's pretty clever marketing.
 #435034  by ljeppson

I've updated my website with some Frontrunner test runs.
 #437178  by ljeppson

I've added some photos of recent construction, and a photo in the NJT section showing that Comet and Bombardier will mate up just fine.

#438981  by ljeppson

I've added some business details to my website, including UTA's deal with UP, which make Frontrunner totally unique.

#440414  by Stephen B. Carey

I just saw in trains magazine today the pictures of the new frontrunner equipment and the caption called the locomotives remanufactured. I was just wondering if this is true, I was under the impression that these are completely new engines. I was just wondering if they are maybe built off of existing locomotives (like a genset for example) or if they were rebuilt after being sold by another transit provider.
 #441829  by ljeppson

Yes, I have it on good account that these units (MP-36's) are in fact rebuilds, basically from GP-40 style units. Their carbody shape is so unusual that it makes it hard to believe, but they are rebuilds.

#444526  by Stephen B. Carey

Wow, thanks. That is interesting. I wonder how much of the original locomotive is left in the new one.
 #458268  by ljeppson

Get a load of this. An algebraic error in the Salt Lake Council of Governments' weighting of transport options threatens Frontrunner, just as Trains Mag gives a glowing review of UTA.

www.utahtransit.us/snafu.htm

#520107  by chrsjrcj

FrontRunner service will begin on April 26.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8706818

Good luck to the people in Utah!