Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#197114  by Tadman

Hey folks, I noticed the other day - the snow makes our already quiet railroad even quieter - I had no idea the train was running at 79 until I checked the speedo in the vestibule. Anyway, be safe when railfanning on CSS tracks, don't let one sneak up on you.
 #197115  by jg greenwood

Tadman wrote:Hey folks, I noticed the other day - the snow makes our already quiet railroad even quieter - I had no idea the train was running at 79 until I checked the speedo in the vestibule. Anyway, be safe when railfanning on CSS tracks, don't let one sneak up on you.
You're correct. It's amazing how even a small amount of snow on the rail muffles the sound of cars/equipment. A hump-yard with CWR and a light dusting of snow is one deadly area! Cars on adjacent tracks can sneak up on you, watch your back!

#197204  by LCJ

Stay out of that RED ZONE, and you'll be safe!!!

#197563  by PRRGuy

Yep, they sure can sneak up on you. After working around them they sometimes still do. I've gotten used to the high-pitched noise the traction motors make, like when the dynamics kick in, but even that gets quieted by the ice and snow.