Railroad Forums 

• Sacramento Station - Track Relocation

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1594923  by STrRedWolf

twropr wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:38 pm Will the new platforms be high-level? If so, will these be the first high ones in CA?
Andy
Jacksonville, FL
Not likely. It looks like they'll use what's there, and the California Zephyr stops there... which uses Superliner equipment, so it's lower level.
 #1594943  by rohr turbo

ExCon90 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:38 pm ... I can't think of anything (other than PVs) that could use a high-level platform.
I think there are currently Comet car trainsets in use on the San Joaquins and soon there will be Venture single-level cars.

That said, since Capitols, CS, and CZ will be bilevel for foreseeable future, low level platforms make more sense.
 #1594982  by lpetrich

Amtrak Sacramento Valley Station - Southern Pacific - Richards - Sacramento, CA - has a big collection of pictures, and I perused them. The relocated platforms are all low-level, as one would expect. The pictures included some pictures of the walkway between the station building and the relocated platforms. That walkway has a canopy over it for its entire length, and it's that canopy that you see in the satellite pictures.
 #1595036  by John_Perkowski

May I ask who the **** designed that? To say this complex does not look disabilities friendly is the understatement of the month.
 #1595042  by Gilbert B Norman

So what's new, Colonel; SIR?

Somebody figures you walk a half mile to board a flight; all we ask is that you walk a quarter mile to board a train!!!

Isn't that being nice?
 #1595046  by rohr turbo

Well it is all ramps from station to platform, and they have little golf carts to shuttle people who need assistance.

Sure layout is a bit weird, but 100 year old station with track realignment will do that. Overall I have found it to be a pleasant station these days (decrepit on my visits in 80s-90s). As GBN points out, getting from Gate D73 to Baggage Claim will be far longer.

https://wheelchairtraveling.com/sacrame ... alifornia/

The screwball thing for me is that they left the old platform canopies in place!?!
 #1595050  by scratchyX1

John_Perkowski wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:37 am May I ask who the **** designed that? To say this complex does not look disabilities friendly is the understatement of the month.
Makes me think of the proposal to put a MARC station for Bayview hospital in the middle of a NS railyard, over a long bridge.
 #1595061  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:06 pm Makes me think of the proposal to put a MARC station for Bayview hospital in the middle of a NS railyard, over a long bridge.
That and connect it to the *other* MARC station for Bayview hospital over on the CSX rail lines. 2007 proposal was weird.

Still, they're going to move the station itself closer to the tracks, which will be a good thing.
 #1595085  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:06 pm
scratchyX1 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:06 pm Makes me think of the proposal to put a MARC station for Bayview hospital in the middle of a NS railyard, over a long bridge.
That and connect it to the *other* MARC station for Bayview hospital over on the CSX rail lines. 2007 proposal was weird.

Still, they're going to move the station itself closer to the tracks, which will be a good thing.
Wait, it's still happening ?
What's the latest engineering?
 #1595094  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:28 pm Wait, it's still happening ?
MARC has nothing. For Sacramento, they're building a new station closer to the tracks (next to the relocation) per the renders.
 #1595101  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:49 am
MARC has nothing. For Sacramento, they're building a new station closer to the tracks (next to the relocation) per the renders.
Oh, you meant that proposal to somehow run commuter trains on the mainly single track baltimore belt line, from camden station. It's like it was designed by someone who did zero research on the realities of the area.
The proposal to run commuter trains up the former WM to westminster almost makes more sense than that.
almost.

Good on Caltrans doing something right... for a change.
 #1595243  by lpetrich

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:49 am
Still in planning, as far as I can tell, and construction on the overall site has been very scanty.

I've found Sacramento Railyards - Wikipedia on the development project, though it seems too much like an advertising brochure for it, without much detailed history or behind-the-scenes detail. But I also found Sacramento Valley Station - Wikipedia on the station itself. It's much more detailed about the station's history, and the sort of article that that Sacramento Railyards article should have been.
 #1595246  by lpetrich

The station goes back to 1863, in the building of the Transcontinental Railroad, and the current station building was built in 1926. But for the first 20 years of Amtrak, only long-distance trains stopped there. That changed in 1991 with the starting of the Capitol line between Sac'to and the Bay Area, and that line is now one of the busiest corridor lines in all of Amtrak, and Sac'to station is now one of the busiest stations in the nation, behind some NEC ones, Chicago, and Los Angeles.

In the recent improvements of the station, the first step was taken in 2006, with the extension of the Sac'to light-rail system to the north side of the station, where the tracks are.

The tracks were relocated in 2012 in the first stage of the renovation of the station. The second stage was extensive renovation of the station building itself, and that was done in 2017. The third phase is still in planning, but it will have a station closer to the tracks.

5th Street Bridge Unveiled At Sacramento Railyards – CBS Sacramento - 2016 Aug 19
That's that street's bridge over the relocated tracks.

Sacramento Railyards redevelopment picks up $30M grant | abc10.com - 2022 Jan 4 - "Specifics of the development will be hammered out by the city as proposals come up."
noting
City accepts $30 million in state funds to boost development in Sacramento Railyards
Hard to find any specifics, however. Seems like they are trying to get the project going again.