Railroad Forums 

• RUMOR: Pan-Am-MMA merger?

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#289341  by U-Haul

Montreal, Maine & Atlantic & Pan Am Railways merging is never going to happen, right? Besides, that could be the PRR NYC merger of the 21st Century. Hope Susquehanna would not jump in as well. That could cause the Penn Central of the 21st century. We might, oh never mind.
Last edited by U-Haul on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#289392  by murray83

and the mellon's could run the entire system :wink:

i can't see it going to happen myself,if anything NS or CSX would be the big players of any big takeover news in the northeast.if this was to ever happen in due time they would only want to go as far north as portland,that leaves the old maine central now that could be up for grabs to the MMA? but again i can't see any of it happening.

then again,i really shouldn't say it won't ever happen since you never know.........

#298475  by cpf354

murray83 wrote:and the mellon's could run the entire system :wink:

i can't see it going to happen myself,if anything NS or CSX would be the big players of any big takeover news in the northeast.if this was to ever happen in due time they would only want to go as far north as portland,that leaves the old maine central now that could be up for grabs to the MMA? but again i can't see any of it happening.

then again,i really shouldn't say it won't ever happen since you never know.........
Pan Am is using a significant amount of resources to keep it's struggling airline flying. They have also been involved in legal wrangling with the DOT over the airline(they lost in their bid to expand jet service) and with car-hire services that they owe money too. Any rumours involving them merging with another regional railroad aren't too well founded.

#298552  by MEC407

In a somewhat related note, San Luis Central -- a RailWorld subsidiary -- took Pan Am to court for not paying car hire fees. SLC tried to get the judge to give them access to Pan Am's financial records, but the judge said no.

#318275  by Tadman

As long as we're doing uber-wild speculation, let's throw the Chineese National Railways and Ferromex in on that merger. We can call it New York Central, and only have lightening-striped Alco PA's for power...