Railroad Forums 

• RUMOR or TRUE ??? APACHE RR shutting down for good ?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#1068401  by Alcoman

Heard that the Apache may be shutting down its operations for good. Do not know if this is a rumor or if its true, but if it is true, those ALCO C420's and C424's hopefully will find home on railroads on the east Coast.
 #1068420  by Alcoman

Well folks, it looks like another ALCO railroad will soon be history. According to Trainorders and other sources, the entire railroad will shut down as of 9/30/12 putting 308 people out of work.
The ALCO's will need new homes. They are some of the best maintained power anywhere in the U.S..
 #1069290  by MEC407

This question was posed on railpictures.net and I'm wondering if any of you know the answer:

"Do those Apache locomotives have air conditioners in the cabs? Seems like it would be unbearably hot out there in the desert."
 #1069294  by thebigham

atsf sp wrote:I guess A&M and DL will be getting new stable mates possibly.
I don't know.

The DL has repeatedly said they don't need any new power. The A&M has so many Alcos. The WNY&P has had a drop in business.

I thought for sure the Lake State Alcos would be bought, but they were scrapped. (They were in poor condition.)

BUT, these Apache units are in *excellent* condition.
 #1069308  by Alcoman

The DL bought a C424 from private owner.

With the overall population of ALCOS dwindling, it would be wise for someone to pick up these now even if they store them for future use when business improves. Once these are gone, there will not be many more C420's to get. These are in great shape and it will be interesting what the asking price will be.
Alcoman
 #1069313  by MEC407

The problem is that most shortlines and regionals can't afford to go out and buy locomotives to put in storage "just in case" they see a surge in business. Doing so might be wise and smart, but a lot of these small railroads have very slim margins and they're not going to choose between buying extra locomotives and making payroll.

Leasing companies aren't going to buy Alcos. They just aren't.

So I don't know where these locomotives are going to end up, unless there are some tourist railroads that might be interested... or marine engine vendors who want the 251s...
 #1069363  by RS-3

The DL purchased the 41 a couple of years ago. And they are currently on record as not needing any more power. Of course if the price was right... but don't bet on it. (See the recent purchased of said C-424.) They would be great for the WNY&P family but they have all the units they need apparently with their downturn in business. The A&M would be the best bet if anyone is interested outside or parts suppliers (like NRE) or scrappers. With business good and their recent takeover of switching a mill in Monroe, LA (and at least two units sent there) they MIGHT be interested in at least a couple of the C-420s. Maybe even all four. Let's hope. Sadly I'll be surprised if any of the C-424's make it out of Snowflake in one piece.

RS
 #1069366  by MEC407

Alcoman wrote:Now, I am getting word that the Apache RR may not shut down after all. Wonder what could change the outcome?
Apparently there is an investment group that may be interested in purchasing the mill. If the mill stays open, the railroad would need to stay open as well. Cross your fingers, folks!
 #1069369  by MEC407

From azcentral.com:
azcentral.com wrote:Owners of the paper-recycling mill in Snowflake plan to close the facility in Sept. 30, putting 300 people out of work, but Phoenix investors could purchase it to keep the mill and the neighboring biomass power plant running.
...Phoenix-based private-investment outfit Najafi Cos. is in discussion with the paper company to purchase the mill and maintain operations.

Najafi Cos. owns the biomass power plant next door, Snowflake Power, and CEO Jahm Najafi said the plant has a symbiotic relationship with Catalyst Paper.
Company executives met with employees and union representatives at the Snowflake mill and Apache Railway Company Monday, according to a news release. Catalyst Paper said it will work closely with suppliers and regulators as the site ends operations and is prepared for sale.
Read more at: http://www.azcentral.com/business/artic ... -work.html