Railroad Forums 

• Rohr RTL III Turboliners: Status, Location, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#369802  by sixty-six

DutchRailnut wrote:nope NYS was stupid enough fixing Amtraks trains. But Amtrak did not want them fixed so they decided they did not want to use them.
Then NYS started to be possesive so Amtrak took their property to Bear Delaware for storage and possible disposal.

So lets see this different way, I fix my neigbours car, but he did not want it fixed, then neighbour decides to scrap the car, would I have recourse ???
I don't think sooo ???
So, if I understand this right, Amtrak owned the trains to be used in NY. Amtrak didnt want them anymore, but NYS insisted on using them, so they sent the sets for rebuild. Amtrak still wouldn't use the RTL III's so they just took them away from New York State by moving them to Bear?

#369805  by hsr_fan

DutchRailnut wrote:nope NYS was stupid enough fixing Amtraks trains. But Amtrak did not want them fixed so they decided they did not want to use them.
Then NYS started to be possesive so Amtrak took their property to Bear Delaware for storage and possible disposal.
I do not believe that is accurate at all. New York and Amtrak entered into an agreement where New York would rebuild the Turboliners, and Amtrak would operate the trains and pay for track upgrades. The goal of the program was 2 hour ALB - NYP service with 125 mph top speeds, and as I recall, New York and Amtrak were to split the $185 million investment evenly. It was Amtrak that failed to hold up its end of the bargain, and then looked for any excuse to not operate the remanufactured Turboliner trainsets.

Amtrak claimed that it took the three completed trainsets to Delaware in order to ensure safekeeping. So, I think that Amtrak should be liable for any damage and deterioration that has occurred, and should be required to return the trainsets to New York in the shape that they were in when Amtrak took possession.

#369837  by DutchRailnut

Again your twisting history, the agreement for turbo's called for NYS to upgrade the CSX owned Hudson line from CP75 to Renselear with top running speed of 125 mph. the state of NY renegged on the contract and did no upgrades, making the turbo's useless and to expensive to operate in conventional service.
Amtrak had full right to remove their trains after NYS failed.

#369928  by gp80mac

Some on here have said that Amtrak should be a series of corridors partnering with one or more states.

This Turbo mess sure shoots holes in that theory.

#370006  by LI Loco

Nobody said New York had to be one of those states. :-D

Seriously, folks, we New Yorkers have been plagued for decades by one of the worst state governments - a bipartisan affair, no less.

Hopefully, our new governor, Elliot Spitzer, will start to turn things around. I don't know his agenda for intercity rail, i.e. Amtrak Empire Corridor, but fresh blood should bring positive change.

#370023  by Irish Chieftain

Hmm…does anyone want the RTLs on the Downeaster? Image

#370026  by DutchRailnut

Amtrak does not want the turboliner, as it is to costly to operate, and even if they were gone run them they owe NYS millions for the refurbishing.
With way to much personal on those trains its not just fuel killing them, a engineer, techician, conductor assistent conductor lounge attendant and all for 4 car train (two half for powercars and 3 intermediate cars.

Amtrak is just gone let these things die and rot to point were they have to be scrapped.

#370265  by hsr_fan

DutchRailnut wrote:Amtrak is just gone let these things die and rot to point were they have to be scrapped.
That would be terrible, and borderline criminal!

#370281  by Gilbert B Norman

jimzim66 wrote:Wow, why were they even rebuilt into RTL III's if they were just to be sent to the deadline? Did NYS make Amtrak rebuild them?

It's too bad the coaches cant find use elsewhere.
From "The Graduate"

• Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
    Benjamin: Yes, sir.
    Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
    Benjamin: Yes, I am.
    Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
Mr. Zimenoff: Politics

#370452  by AgentSkelly

hsr_fan wrote:
AgentSkelly wrote:I know I am going to get killed for this by you guys but:

http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=24515
The RTL 2 sure has decayed since its last revenue run in late 2002!

Always wondered what the RTL 2 "custom class" interior looked like! The RTL 3 was certainly nicer. Looks like the coach section had Amfleet seats.
Yes...the Amfleet suprised me actually when I first walked inside.

#370828  by hsr_fan

Found another - last one I have, I'm pretty sure! :-D