• RS-2/3 Lightning Strip question

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by rutlandfan

Good day,

When did the RS-2's and RS-3's start switching from the black lightning stripe paint to the simplified black scheme? Specifically RS-2 #8212 and RS-3 8223.

Thanks in advance,

Phil
  by R Paul Carey

RS-3 #8259 appeared in the new "simplified" scheme on May 29, 1958 (the last passenger run on the Putnam Division).

I believe the scheme was first developed in 1956 or 1957.
  by bill8106

This link to a photograph of 8212 on George Elwood's Fallen Flags site in basic black is dated 5/18/57, and the paint looks brand spankin' new. Note the script herald on the cab; there's another photo of this unit dated 8/4/62 on the FF site without the herald and the road number is moved higher up on the cab, above the fuel fill. I'm mentioning this incase you're looking to model this unit to a specific time period.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc8212s.jpg

Cannot find enough photos of 8223 to pinpoint the timeframe that it was repainted.

RS-11s delivered in June/July 1957 were the first new road locomotives without lightning stripes, but GP-9s delivered later that year had them, and the second unaccepted order of RS-11s in 1960 had them too.
  by bill8106

Correction to my post.....some early cab 'B" units (e.g. FB-1s) were delivered in all black paint, and the FTs and F2s A units originally had the "century stripes" on their nose only, so it could be argued that the RS-11s were NOT the first road units delivered without lightning stripes! but i digress from the OP....
  by NYC_Dave

Of dated RS-2/3 photos I have, the first is 1959. In 1963-4, 2/3 to 3/4 of the photos were the black scheme. No photos after 1964 had lightning stripes.
I don't happen to have dated photos of the two numbers in question.
  by TCurtin

I definitely recall there was one still in lightning stripes on the Harlem in early 1965. I used to see the "traveling switcher" (a term that I believe is NYC-ese for "local freight") out of NWP when he was down in The Bronx switching the small yard that used to be on the track 4 side between Botanical Garden and Fordham. I think he tied up there to go to a deli in the neighborhood for lunch. Too bad I never photographed this, I didn't appreciate at the time that it was probably the last unit in that scheme. I'm certain of the date.
  by traingeek8223

I have a photo in my collection (somewhere) that shows the 8223 in fresh "cigar band" paint dated 1960 or 1961. It is clear in the photo it was just painted. I believe it was taken in Harmon.
  by Tommy Meehan

I lost them long ago but in 1964-65 I tried to photograph every Alco RS3 on the Harlem Division. (I lived in north White Plains.) The only one I recall shooting that was still in Lightning Stripes was the 8278. The light grey within the stripes was faded to almost all-white. :(

Was that the engine on the Traveling Switcher in '65? Earlier years it was often 8247 which not only had the all-black paint job it had the air tanks on top. That engine worked the Put's BN-based freight too. And the second-trick NWP yard engine (back in 1963).

Never saw first-hand 8247 on a passenger train. The unit was classed as having a steam generator but I wondered if it still worked.
  by TCurtin

Tommy Meehan wrote:I lost them long ago but in 1964-65 I tried to photograph every Alco RS3 on the Harlem Division. (I lived in north White Plains.) The only one I recall shooting that was still in Lightning Stripes was the 8278. The light grey within the stripes was faded to almost all-white. :(

Was that the engine on the Traveling Switcher in '65?
I wish I could answer that! I was a 20 year old college student at the time and it was long before I was tuned in to recording engine numbers and things of that sort