Railroad Forums 

• Rogers Locomotive Works

• All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works
All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works

Moderator: Komachi

#4498  by NJTfan

What Rogers locomotives are still around? Any operable? (doubt it) I believe the Paterson Mueseum is in the building that was the factory, or some sort of locomotive works. (Paterson had a few) I'm not 100% sure, though, it could of been some other sort of factory.

#7341  by CarterB

Paterson, NJ was home to Rogers Locomotive Works, Danforth & Cooke Locomotive and Machine Co., and Grant Locomotive Works.

Several Rogers locos still exist, including the famous War Between the States "General" in Kennesaw, GA (+ an other in Conyers, GA)

Others exist in Tuolume CA (4-6-0 Shay), KY RR Museum (L&N 4-6-2), Greenfield Village, MI (A&G 4-4-0), and Stillwater, MN (NP 4-6-0)

Rogers was in business from 1832 until purchased by ALCO in 1905. ALCO also made rotary plows in Paterson. Cooke started in 1852, purchased by ALCO in 1901. Grant the smallest of the three was formed in 1867 from the NJ Locomotive Co. quit after a fire in 1885.
 #9260  by moocow

there is another Rogers built locomotive, a 30 inch guage 0-6-2, which is currently in storage in a disassembled state in Harrisville RI, restoration work had begun on this machine at Shop Services, but ceased when Shop Service's owner passed away suddenly and the code traceability of the replacement boiler's materials was lost. When Shop Services closed the locomotive was crated and shipped to a storage facility, where it remains to this day.
 #9263  by moocow

The Grant Locomotive Works reopened the Patterson shop after the 1887 fire, but only until a new shop was opened in Chicago. The new shop had improved clearances necessary for the production of larger locomotives, and was equipped with the most modern machine tools available, but closed suddenly June 1893 when in the depths of a financial panic the work force went on strike. The mortgage was called and that was the end of the Grant Locomotive works. The plant closed so suddenly that over 20 unfinished locomotives were left on the shop floor awaiting final assembly.

see John H White's American Locomotive builders for a brief history of Grant and the other Patterson builders :P

#9269  by RRChef

Steantown has in it's collection LIRR Cooke Rotary Plow 193 built in 1898. It is the only surviving example of a rotary plow from an eastern railroad. It sits decaying, as Steamtown has no plans to exhibit or restore this relic.
 #26503  by dreamer

Sierra Railroad #3, a 4-6-0, was built in 1891 by Rogers. At the time of its 100th birthday in 1991 it was in regular service at Jamestown,CA, being run on the Sierra by the the Railtown 1897 State Historic Park. The #3 made many movie and television appearances as far back as 1929. I haven't heard if it's still running. In 1991 the future of both the railroad and the park was questionable, but the railroad at least is still there.

#26508  by dreamer

There are reportedly at least two Rogers locomotives in Cuba, both built in 1894 and still active around 1997.

#34984  by NJTfan

Thanks.

#37606  by dreamer

Sierra Railroad #3 is undergoing a rebuild and lots of $$$ is needed. Check out this link (California State Railroad Museum):
http://csrmf.org/railtown/doc.asp?...
 #247078  by ErieAtlantic7597

NJT,

You are quite correct saying that the Rogers plant was the site of other kinds of manufactureing. Originally, silk weaving looms were built there.
In fact they were called Jackard looms. I'm not sure I spelled that right.
Paterson, before becomeing famous for locomotive production, had already built a name for itself in the silk weaving and dyeing industry.
The Rogers plant is still there on the corner of Market and Spruce Streets. Where the "General" was built. Slightly south on Spruce Street, and on the other side of the street from Rogers, stood the Danforth Co., where the "Texas" was built.
Also located in the same general area was the Grant Co., New Jersey
Machine and Foundry, and Paterson Machine Works. All involved in the manufacture of railroad locomotives.
There were no good connections in that area of Paterson to any of the railroads. Most, if not all locomotives built in Paterson, had to be transported through the streets of downtown Paterson to the Erie Railroad, which was at ground level in those days. But, six foot gauge.
The reason the major machine shops were locoated there was because of the use of water power from the Great Passaic River Falls.
Sorry for the long story. Just figured this might be of some interest.
BTW, I grew up in Paterson, NJ, as did my father and my Grandfather.
One half city block from the River Street station on the Erie main.

Take care,

Bruce

#247325  by GOLDEN-ARM

Not to forget, Patterson was also the original Capitol of NJ, before Trenton..... :-D
 #247379  by ErieAtlantic7597

Golden-Arm,

Most people today don't realize how much history came from that old city. Drifting off topic a bit here, Paterson, was founded by Alexander Hamilton,the Colt Fire Arms Co. was located there, and the building still exists. The first sucessful submarine was invented and tested in Paterson by a man by the name of John Holland. The first expieriments were performed in the Passaic River above the Great Passaic Falls. The submarine can be seen in the Paterson museum. At least it was there when I was a kid.
Paterson was know as the "Silk city of the world", thats how much silk was woven and dyed there. At one time there were actually trees with cultivated silk worms on Mulberry St. near the Passaic River.
Lastly, the city of Paterson, NJ is a one T Paterson. The city was named in honor of a very early elected govenor of the state.

Take care,

Bruce
 #328755  by joemato

I was at the south Simcoe RR near Toronto a few years back and they were running a Rogers American or 10 wheeler
 #329694  by joemato

The engine I was referring to is an 1883 4-4-0 in beautiful running condition. South Simcoe RR about 50 mi north of Toronto in Totenham, Ont.