Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#954685  by Otto Vondrak

So I have to make Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited on Tuesday... I might find myself south of Chicago with no car. Was thinking of taking Metra Electric from Homewood back into the city, but how would I get to Union Station from Randolph Street that late in the evening (thinking 8:00pm or so)? Likewise, was thinking of using the nearby Rock Island line at Tinley Park so I end up right at Union Station... I don't know the neighborhoods, do I need to worry being down there in the evening by myself?

Thanks in advance!

-otto-
 #954701  by doepack

Heading north on MED, to get to Union Station, you'll have to get off at Van Buren St. Follow the signs that lead to the Jackson St. exit, after heading up the stairs and onto the street, you should be on the corner of Jackson and Michigan Ave. Walk north on Michigan Ave. one block to Adams (make note of the addresses of the buildings along Michigan Ave., if they're getting larger than 300, you're walking the wrong way; Adams is 200S.) Cross the street, then you should see a CTA bus stop just to the left of the corner. Catch a 126 or 151 bus, then go about 9 blocks west to Canal, and you'll be there. The 151 bus actually terminates there, at Canal, it'll make a left turn into a bus-only lane that will let you off right at the door.

You can ride the Rock Island line from Tinley Park into downtown if you wish, but remember, this route's downtown terminal is LaSalle St. station, not Union Station. In that case, you'll ride all the way in, get off at LaSalle, walk 2 blocks north to Jackson, then left on Jackson about 4 blocks to Union Station. Happy trails...
 #954732  by byte

Otto, when you say you might find yourself south of Chicago, do you mean you're going to do some photography down there, or will be in the area specifically to catch a train downtown, to go back east?
 #954978  by Otto Vondrak

I'm comin back from Train Festival in Rock Island wih my boss. We did some railfanning around Chicago starting at 18th Street, then headed dwon to Blue Island, then Homewood. Boss dropped me off at Tinley Park, and I rode the Rock back to Chicago with a bunch of rowdy Sox fans! :-) on 48 as we speak...

-otto-
 #955014  by justalurker66

Otto Vondrak wrote:I'm comin back from Train Festival in Rock Island wih my boss. We did some railfanning around Chicago starting at 18th Street, then headed dwon to Blue Island, then Homewood. Boss dropped me off at Tinley Park, and I rode the Rock back to Chicago with a bunch of rowdy Sox fans! :-) on 48 as we speak...
If you're still with us that should now be Toledo outside of your window. I hope you enjoyed the windy city ... as well as the festival before it.
 #955092  by Tadman

Hope you enjoyed the sox fans, that bunch gets nuts. For some reason our city is quite good at packing trains with drunk ballpark goers.