Railroad Forums 

• Rochester Passenger Schedule 1959-60

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#641162  by BR&P

In about 1959 or 1960 our family regularly ate Saturday dinner at the downtown YMCA cafeteria in Rochester. (At that time it was quite a buffet and attracted large numbers of people from all over). We would pass under the NYC main on St Paul Street about 6PM or a bit before. Almost without fail there was a westbound passenger train stopped with the power either on the bridge or within a carlength or so of it. The pair of E units was always something I looked forward to seeing each week.

Any timetable folks who can tell me which train this would be? Westbound, about 6PM Saturdays in Rochester. Thanks!
 #641180  by Noel Weaver

I have timetables from 1959-1960 and using as an example the timetable dated July 12, 1959 there were 11 passenger trains
each way weekdays through Rochester. About the same on Saturday and Sunday too. There were also probably at least 3
mail or mail and express trains each way too. There were at least 2 or 3 in each direction that did not stop at Rochester at
that time.
Eastbound train 52, a local stopped at Rochester from 6:00 PM to 6:12 PM while westbound train 51 the Empire State Express
stopped from 3:45 PM to 3:48 PM and after that 39 the North Shore Limited stopped from 8:30 PM to 8:38 PM.
Hope this is helpful.
Noel Weaver
 #641227  by BR&P

Thanks Noel - I may be off on my year I guess. I know it was Saturday nights, and I know we were on our way to dinner. I suppose it could be as early as 5:30PM. The train was certainly westbound as an eastbound would have been sitting at the opposite end of the depot. St Paul St was the underpass just east of where the GFR went off Track 4, and just before the bridge over the river.

I don't know - I'll see if I can get a better handle on the timeframe. Suppose it could have been a year or two later. And it's also possible the train was running late!