Railroad Forums 

• Rochester & Eastern Shelters

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1541542  by nydepot

1) The shelter at NYMT - where is this one from?

2) The shelter behind the firehouse in Fishers - where is this one from?

3) There used to be 2 on Benson Rd, Fishers. I couldn't find the one at 374 Benson, which I had a note was moving to the museum at Industry. Did it move? Is the one at 304 Benson still there?

Thanks.
 #1541916  by clearblock

Here is a response from Charlie Lowe at NYMT:

1) The shelter at NYMT - where is this one from? This shelter is probably from Johnson's Crossing, and was inventoried as NYS-R&E building no. 125. The understanding that the shelter house at NYMT is building 125 is based on recollections from the 1970s, and the fact that it matches both the inventory for building 125 and the one surviving photo of the building when in use.

2) The shelter behind the firehouse in Fishers - where is this one from? The shelter at the Fishers fire station is Fishers shelter house, building 116. This building was located for many years on Benson Road next to a brick farmhouse, street number unknown; it was the southerly of the two once on Benson Road in post-trolley days.

3) There used to be 2 on Benson Rd, Fishers. I couldn't find the one at 374 Benson, which I had a note was moving to the museum at Industry. Did it move? Is the one at 304 Benson still there? No R&E shelters have been moved to NYMT except bldg. 125. As noted above, the southerly of the two shelters on Benson Road (near a brick farmhouse) has been moved to the Fishers fire station. The northerly one on Benson Road is probably the former Sullivans Stop shelter house, building 114. It was probably located near present-day Log Cabin Road during trolley days and moved to its present site soon after official abandonment and the subsequent auctions in 1932.