Railroad Forums 

• RIP Lee Carlson

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1560068  by NHV 669

It has come to my attention via a post elsewhere that we lost another member here on the board a few days ago on the 28th, Lee Carlson (ebtmikado). I'm sure others here may know him better, as I never knew him outside of these boards and several NE rail-related FB groups but let this serve as a thread to honor his memory and contributions to railroading.
 #1560080  by Cosmo

Man.... this is terrible news.

I've known Lee for a long time, he was more than a bit of a mentor to me when I was down at the Valley RR. I see his posts all the time on Facebook, as recently as this week.
I'm not a big believer in the supernatural, but in hindsight I could believe there was a sign or two of something like this I noticed this morning. Makes you think.
I still have some G-gauge stuff I got from him, some of it in storage in CT.
He will certainly be missed amongst the VRR community. The Haddam Meadows show won't be the same anymore without him, nor anywhere else on the Valley for that matter.

Thank you for passing the news.
We've lost a great friend and a wonderful, kind and wise human being.
 #1560089  by GirlOnTheTrain

If anyone calls SLE Shoreline East rather than Shore Line East - off with your head. We all know how Lee loved correcting those slip-ups ;)
----

Here is his obituary as has been circulating on Facebook.

As per his husband posting on his page, it was an aggressive and fast moving blood infection.

I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times at the Valley RR while tagging along with friends. He was always a delight and will be greatly be missed.

I'm lifting this picture from the "I Like the Valley Railroad" Facebook group which Lee created. Everyone seems to agree that this is a good shot to memorialize him.
Photo credit to Christopher Hennessy
 #1560090  by NH2060

I hope it’s okay to post this here

Just read on the Amtrak Northeast Corridor Railfans Facebook group that Lee Carlson (ebtmikado) went to his final rest on Monday at the age of 78.

My only knowledge of him up to now -through his presence here on RR.net- was that he was an active member of the Shore Line East Riders Association so I’ll forever associate him with my beloved SLE trains that I grew up with in the 90s. I’m glad that he died knowing that the M-8s were being regularly tested on the Shore Line in anticipation of them being used full time in SLE service.

May he Rest In Peace and condolences to his family 🙏
 #1560092  by Backshophoss

He was also known for his reports on the Valley RR tourist line. RIP
 #1560293  by charlie6017

I never knew Mr. Carlson, but was so familiar with him over the past 15-plus years on this site. Wishing his family and friends prayers and warm thoughts. Godspeed. 🙏🏽

Charlie
 #1560351  by MEC407

Heartfelt sympathy to his friends and family. 💞
 #1562124  by Mr rt

I'm a fellow operator at Shoreline Trolley in Branford.
Funny story from years ago ... first time I took my grandchildern from NJ to Strasburg the boy got scared of the big steam engine. So, the next year I showed him one of Lee's videos of an Essex Steam train. He wasn't scared anymore.
RIP my friend.