Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by metroduff

Special Bronx Strike locals using the Incoming Waiting Room tracks have been observed loading and going out through the loop during the strike.
  by Tom Curtin

Interesting . . . I wonder of this post will bring on a flood of "rare mileage collectors" to GCT today.

by Clean Cab

There have been a couple of fan trips that have gone around the upper level loop tracks. One was an NHRHTA sponsored trip that went around the loop sometime in the 1980s. I can't recall which trip it was, or when it was.

Tom Curtin...................help me here!!

by Lackawanna484

What kind of equipment was used?

Didn't we have a recent thread where it was stated that newer equipment isn't authorized to use the Loop? Wheelbases too long or something like that?

by Clean Cab

The equipment used was FL-9s and Bombardier coaches. There was/is a restriction for FL-9s from going east (towards track 42) from the loop track to tracks 38, 39 & 40. But since FL-9s no longer run into GCT, I'm not sure if the rule is even worth the paper its written on.

by checkthedoorlight

The farewell to the ACMU fantrip went through the loop. I'm still kicking myself for not going on that trip. MNRR's newest equipment can and does use the loop multiple times a day. Expect all trains arriving on tracks 38-42 between 7 and 9 am to go into the loop (in order to access Lex yard at the other end of it) and those same trains to return via the loop between 4 and 6 pm.

Can I expect all Melrose to MVW trains leaving from track 38-42 to use the loop tonight? I might make a trip over to Manhattan tonight just to ride one of these up to 125

by Noel Weaver

checkthedoorlight wrote:The farewell to the ACMU fantrip went through the loop. I'm still kicking myself for not going on that trip. MNRR's newest equipment can and does use the loop multiple times a day. Expect all trains arriving on tracks 38-42 between 7 and 9 am to go into the loop (in order to access Lex yard at the other end of it) and those same trains to return via the loop between 4 and 6 pm.

Can I expect all Melrose to MVW trains leaving from track 38-42 to use the loop tonight? I might make a trip over to Manhattan tonight just to ride one of these up to 125
I just looked at the GCT Departure Board and there are still a couple of
trains listed for departing off the loop tracks, there is no gurantee that
they will depart around the loop but I suppose it is possible.

www.mta.info

Go to Metro-North then GCT departure information, should work.

Noel Weaver

by DutchRailnut

The equipment all fits around loop, some stuff that did not fit was B23-7 - E units, foreign railroad coaches like private cars.
there is restriction for FL-9's to go from loop to track 38-39-40 due tight switch in facing position.
  by Tom Curtin

You have a good memory. The NHRHTA fan trip you remember was Oct. 19, 1985.

Those of us who rode in and out of GCT in the 60s, on Harlem trains, well recall Brewster jobs made up of RDCs that were towed into and out of GCT by MUs (two MUs per RDC). THose jobs, since the consist could only move in one direction, arrived and departed on one of tracks 38-41, departing via the loop. This was done a number of times every day, day in and day out.

by Clean Cab

Tom,
wasn't that "The Husking Bee" trip that ran from New Haven to GCT to Poughkeepsie and across the Maybrook back to New Haven? And was it really 20 years ago???????????????????????