Railroad Forums 

• Requesting a little help on NYC colors.

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#447516  by Railroad_Matt

Hello to all,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm doing this correctly. If not, please let me know. I'm teachable. :o)

My Grandfather, Matt Otis, was employed by the "new" Adirondack railroad, as a waterboy, in 1898. He retired from the New York Central in 1952, with 54 years of service. He was known as "Section Matt", as he had quickly risen to the position of Section Foreman (he was a big, no-nonsense man), with his Section being from Thendara to Saranac Junction (later known as Lake Clear Junction).

Papa Matt lived and raised his family in the Section House in Lake Clear, eventually buying it from the railroad, and moving it back a little from the Right-of-Way. Not far, as he liked to see who was crewing the trains that passed by on "his tracks".

I am building a replica "doll house" of the Section House. I have made fairly accurate plans from "family memories", but the sticking point seems to be the original exterior paint colors. Family memory varies a bit on this question. What I have so far is "beige or light green walls, with dark green trim". I have found some photos of remaining Stations on the Internet, but there are variations in current colors. Did the NYC use "cookie cutter" blueprints for the Adirondack Division Section Houses?

I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can help me narrow this down a bit.

Chief Troll- I read in another post that you worked the Selkirk yards in the early sixties. Railroad Matt's son, Harold Otis, my uncle, was a crane operator for the NYC in the 50's, 60's and 70's. He went where they needed him, but he spent a lot of time working the Selkirk yard. I don't know that you knew, or would remember, him, but it was an interesting connection for me.

My older brother self-published a small book in 1990 titled "Stop, Look, Listen.", which chronicled much of Railroad Matt's life, work, and local history of the Adirondack Division, Section 4. With his permission, I'd be happy to share my families memories and recollections.

Thanks for any help.
Railroad Matt's grandson

#447948  by Railroad_Matt

Hello, Otto. Thank you for the welcome. I've been doing a lot of reading in this message board, and the amount of information is amazing. There are truly some dedicated "railroaders" here.

Do you know of any resources where I might find the Wood Structure Colors used by the NYC Adirondack Division?

Any help or pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Railroad Matt's grandson (Bryan)

#450026  by Otto Vondrak

I think you have the right information regarding colors... I dont think the Adirondack Division deviated too much from the rest of the system.

A great book that may interest you: New York Central Facilities IN COLOR

Shop around, I've seen this book offered for less.

-otto-