• Remote Control Locomotive

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by sandpvrr

Hello All,
Still no sign of the MM&A's first RCL. Based on the rate of progress on the second one, this is by report, I can't confirm personally - the second one might be out just after the first.
On an unrelated note - my website (appears in my signature below) is down temporarily, sorry for any inconvienence.
cya, Joey

by mick

We are talking about this because I am rebutting your position that somehow this magical piece of technology will somehow save the railroads
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by sandpvrr

Hello All,
Regarding micks comments above, here's a thought:
If a 5 man crew can do X and cost y
And a Two man crew can 9/10 of X and cost 1/2 y
and a 1 man crew can do 1/2 X and cost 1/4 y
The railroad is further ahead costwise to go to one man crews, even though not as much will get done, because the amount of cost involved in getting that done is proportionally less.
Just a thought!
cya, Joey
  by robc

Hi everyone:

The RCL still is at Derby shops. Cattron has the New part enroute. We don't move untill al is set. Decals are in, to be applied, parts on the way, and guages to install. It's getting there
  by soolinexec

How is the RCL operations going out there? Have you gone through the " whining and snubnose" phase? Fun piece of gear to operate.
  by soolinexec

Lets not forget folks, the primary justification for RCL operations is Safety!!
  by sandpvrr

Hello Soolineexec and all,
Not exactly sure how to say this, but the RCL isn't in use yet. Its finished, and supposed to be ready, but hasn't been seen in use yet.
Not sure why, but I'll let you all know when it is in use!
cya, Joey
  by sandpvrr

Hello All,
MM&A's first RCL caboose, VB-1, made its debut today at Northern Maine Junction. Additional pictures will be posted, as I take them.
Initial reports indicated a few very minor problems, most of which were already taken care of in the second caboose's design.
Have fun all!
cya, Joey
  by robc

VB-1 works flawlessly. Wire tie here and there and thats it!

by sandpvrr

Hello All,
My observations of VB-1 have indicated that it is most definately operating flawlessly.
I will be posting pictures of its first few days of operation in the next few days.
Word from the scanner indicates that the caboose has already picked up its first nickname - R2D2.
My response was 'Why not call it C3PO? Maybe Data? Rosie? Astro?'
Getting back to a topic we had discussed earlier, the labor seems to be anti-RCL, I asked one person what he thought of it 'Its a deathtrap'.
Based on those operating it however, I have heard no complaints, and observed no mishaps.
Have fun everyone!
cya, Joey
  by soolinexec

Deathtrap?? Not sure what you mean. Is that a hidden agenda statement or is there something wrong with the RCL? Almost all the reports I've read on them indicates they provide a safer platform to work on provide they are used properly. Sounds more like fear to me. Maybe trainmen will grow a set of balls and tackle the new technology instead of resorting to grumblings, rumors, grapevine gossip and premature statements to pave their paths to failure. Funny thing you never hear of the mishaps when normal switching is ocurring with 2 guys. If they can't handle it, I know kids getting out of these tech schools who would love a crack at it.

by sandpvrr

Hello All,
soolineexec - remember that old quote 'we fear what we don't understand'???
For those that don't understand the safety features incorporated within the electronics of the Cattron Theimeg RCL system, it is very easy to imagine the unit going beserk and running around the rail yard on its own. Frankly, because I understand the electronic safeguards built into the hardware and software, I believe that any accidents caused by an RCL of this type are human error.
Combine that with the human resistance to change, even I admit it was very weird to see a locomotive and caboose roaming around NMJ without a engineer in it, and I think there is a fair amount of resistance to the RCL concept amongst the employees.
Once again, I think the RCL is arguably safer than a traditional two man crew switching scenario, but I understand the idea behind the safeguards built into the system.
Let's cheer these guys on for 'Thinking outside the box' - and hope that this drives traffic back to the rails!
cya, Joey

by mick

Obviously,
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.