3rdrail wrote:Are there any archeological sites left ?
All the wires were removed in late 1959, except for those of a few trolleybuses lines, which lasted until 1966. The rails were also either removed or buried in 59. From time to time, after the spring thaw, a few rails will emerge from the pavement where the streets have not been rebuilt since then, but that's all. Only a few buildings are left, like the garage at the corner of Mount-Royal and Fullum streets, and part of the St.Denis garage. At the Youville plant, where they used to build and repair the trolleys, only a small building is left (the generating station).
Downtown, the beautiful Craig St. terminus was savagedly demolished in the 1970s to make room for an ugly convention center, just like NYC Penn Station a decade earlier. The stones from the facade were supposed to have been numbered, dismantled and preserved for future reconstruction, but they surprisingly disappeared some time later from where they were stored...!
The only nice remnant downtown is the terminus of the Montreal and Southern Counties, at the corner of McGill Street. Operation on that line ceased in 1956. At least the outside has been preserved as it is now a restaurant. In the former yard behind it now stands a high-rise condominium building.