Railroad Forums 

• Relic at L.I.C. Team Yard

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #28012  by Legio X

Visible from both the 7 train and the street at the LIC team yard is an old blue and yellow boxcar that looks like it's in real bad shape. It's at the end of one of the spurs. Anybody know the story with this boxcar? Are there plans to remove it, so as to free a little more room in the event of more business for NYA at the yard?

#28121  by DogBert

That is one old boxcar. It is actually derailed, rammed right over the bumper at the end of that track, which of course explains why it's been sitting there all these years. The bumper is crumpled under it, and if I recall right the truck is under it at a slight a angle. In fact, the entire car leans a bit to one side, where it's up against the concrete loading area.

My bet is that it will some day be scrapped in place.

Speaking of relics in the ares though, alcohol car W86 (?) is also nearby, parked along skillman av near the eastbound tunnel portals, and there's another old car, W17 if I recall right, at the end of the LIC passenger yard. No tracks lead toit, and I believe it is still used as an office or crew room of some sort.

#29171  by Scrap em All

I'll take credit for being the FIRST!!!!!! one :P to ram that LIC boxcar into the bumper. It was about 4 years ago. Only 1 wheel came of the rail, now it seems that it has been moved further and further past whats left of the bumping block! Ahh memories.

#29211  by DogBert

When I saw it (now that I recall better) it was pushed well over the block, with that set of wheels at a 45 degree angle (did I say slight angle? nope...).

Whoops. :)
 #44665  by bingdude

DogBert mentioned the ex-parlor, then Alcohol car W86 East of Hunterspoint. This car (and the two tanks next to it) have been moved in the week or so. They are now about 50 feet west of where they had been for the past two years.

Clean Harbors is doing some kind of chemical clean-up near there and I guess the crew needs the room. The cars are not landlocked, BTW. That track goes right into the old washer at Hunterspoint. Clean Harbors has some dumpsters on top of it right now, but it appears intact underneath.

#98751  by Legio X

Is NYA still serving the L.I.C. team yard, or has the ESA project and the removal of trackage in the area strangled it? If operations are still ongoing, how often is L.I.C. served? Five days a week, six or seven? Once a week?

#98817  by DogBert

It's still used and still is as it was (though was te track to it replaced?). No idea how often it's switched...

#99147  by jayrmli

Still switched every day, usually in the AM.

Jay

#447171  by Spartan Phalanx

I passed by LIC team yard yesterday and I was surprised to see tankcars and covered hoppers spotted there, along with the usual boxcars and flatcars. What's shipped in these cars, and who's the customer? Thanks.
 #447330  by SwingMan

Once, on my way to a Yankee game, at around 12pmish, a MP15 and an SW1001 was spotted pulling takers and covered hoppers out of the yard. There was also a covered hopper on one Arch St. leads? :P lirr415-Peter
 #447368  by freightguy

THE NYAR crews used to do some funky switching moves down there when they ripped up all those tracks to install new ones. I remember one crew used to shove cars up to a sign and they roll them past 2 1500's or 1001's with no eng attached at either end. This was all done because the Stink(?) and Big Middle were removed.

Those cars you see are either filled with cocoa beans or plastic for LIC. They mostly come in via NS_NYCH_NYAR. The new tracks are in good shape some concrete, some old fashioned wood ties! There was even a hump at the extreme Eastern(geographically) end of yard. Sometimes Amtrak took cars down there in no man's land.

The two consignees who are busiest down in team yard even remembered when Long Island used to service that yard. Bob said he had an even bigger lumber reload in Maspeth in 60's and 70's. Also on Conrail in Elizabeth, NJ in 80's. Crew was very lazy in NJ, he used have to tug 12 flatcars of lumber with his forklift and no brakes! Willy who unloads boxcars of brick said the LIRR used to bring like 8-10 a day to team yard. Anyone have pics of Salt lead being serviced?
 #447506  by Dump The Air

lirr415 wrote:Once, on my way to a Yankee game, at around 12pmish, a MP15 and an SW1001 was spotted pulling takers and covered hoppers out of the yard. There was also a covered hopper on one Arch St. leads? :P lirr415-Peter
Shouldn't you be in school? :wink:

#459456  by Spartan Phalanx

Was I seeing things, or does the line that goes under 21 St. to where the float bridges were end with a bumper that can just be seen when passing over on 21 St.? Was that done to give some room for switching Arch St. Shop?