• Red Line crash after the hype

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by train2

I followed the news reports for the first week or two after the fatal Red line crash. Now that the story has been replaced by the current "news of the day." Has any consensus been reached as to what the fault was? I could not take the time to read through 300 some posts in the other thread so I am hoping someone could give a brief synopses.

I don't ride metro daily but when I do, I ride the Red line. But I am more interested because of the technology involved should have prevented this. Was it the classic aligning of 3 circumstances that often haunt major accidents? (The type that the absence of anyone would have prevented the accident.)
  by Sand Box John

Track circuit failure. No report as to why. We will have to wait for NTSB final report on the incident.
  by train2

I knew it was track circuit failure, but I was hoping for a little more details if anyone has anything they can add I appreciate it.
  by farecard

train2 wrote:I knew it was track circuit failure, but I was hoping for a little more details ....

Wait for the NTSB. They don't pull punches and seldom miss even tiny details...
  by train2

I suspect I will need to ride the red line before the NTSB report is released. So I was curious if the problem had be possibly identified and corrected?

I don't have much concern about a train i would be riding having an accident, as they have been running daily for several months. I was hoping someone might have some insights.
  by justalurker66

Identified ... pretty much. A train disappeared from the signaling and the one behind it found it stopped on the line.

Corrected? That is a matter of opinion.
* Trains are running in manual instead of automatic which requires more operator attention to conditions.
* The 1000 series cars are no longer the lead and tail cars of trains (which could help when the next two trains collide).
* Sensor data is now checked twice a day for problems (such as fluttering train detection).
* Special operations are ongoing in the area of the crash (until WMATA gets the detectors working 100%?).

There will be more when the NTSB report comes out ... but those reports can take a year. WMATA is following the NTSB recommendations made so far to the best of their ability. I'd ride the system. Without regard to being in a lead or tail car or elsewhere in the consist.

BTW: While the crash happened on the Red Line it once again pointed out problems with the operation of the entire system. In other words (in my opinion), if you've ridden any of the system you have been just as safe as on the Red Line.
  by SchuminWeb

I'd agree with you there. I ride the Red Line daily from Glenmont to Dupont Circle and back (which includes the accident area), and it's as safe as ever. I even continue to ride in the lead car on the way home. So yeah, take Metro, and ride all the lines.