Railroad Forums 

• Red, black, and white safety stripes on ends of RDC's

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#26828  by Tom Curtin

When did NYC start using that zebra-stripe-with-the-two-red-bands scheme on the ends of RDCs? Early photos of NYC Budd cars tend to show plain ends so I gather they were not delivered that way.

Does any decal mfr. make those?

#26968  by hudsondiv2002

Good morning Tom; I can't recall off the top of my head when the NYC started using the stripes on the end of their RDC's but William Mosteller does have decals for them. Checkout his website at: www.greatdecals.com. I think it was the mid or late 1950's.

Larry
 #26990  by eddiebear

I grew up on and still live in a town on the route of the first scheduled RDC operation. Framingham, MA on the Boston & Albany Div. I think the stripes came some time in the 1960s. Those original RDCs had plain, unadorned ends. Not much of a necessity on the virtually crossing-less B & A east of Springfield.

#27590  by NYC-BKO

I think it was 63' or 64', it was first applied to the RDC that ran to Mackinaw City and then only one end was done along with a flashing red light on the door and orange flasher on the roof above door. I guess they had grade corssing problems on this line. It then became standard for all RDC's. If I remember correctly.

#27841  by DocJohn

Around 1956-57, Beeliners were tried on the River Div. Don't remember heavily striped ends.

DocJohn
Macon, GA