Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#73104  by jp1822

Just returned from a cross-country trip in Canada utilizing the Enterprise (Consetallation Class) and the Canadian (Silver and Blue Class).

Scenery was really great, as most was snow covered (from Wasahgo through the Rockies) and offered a different perspective I had never seen. Although I couldn't help to yearn for the Canadian Pacific routing on some segments. However, the trip through the Rockies via Jasper was fantastic, as snow had fallen just a night or so ago.

Onboard service, as always was just great. Appetizers, champagne, and all the other amenities even in the off season. And I was a minority on the train - most were Canadians and not the typical tourist profiled passengers you find in the summer! Via went the extra mile - I had put in a request for room F when I completed my booking, even though I was assigned to room A. Got settled into room A and then the sleeping car attendant tracked me down in the dome to tell me he moved me to room F in the car next to the dome - that was really nice! Someone had cancelled out last minute.

Our consist had two coaches, Skyline dome, three manor sleepers, and then the Park Car. There were few passengers Toronto to Jasper and it was nice to have a lesser crowd aboard. Based on Internet booking though - the train was sold out Toronto to Vancouver! They added three Manor sleepers in Jasper and the train was really full for the last leg from Jasper to Vancouver.

The train was ontime or early into all station stops. We were nearly an hour early into Vancouver.

What a great trip and glad to see the Heritage equipment still in service. I'd take the Canadian and its Heritage equipment any day over Amtrak's equipment. The domes, lounges, and diners really make it a great train trip. The dome windows were clearer than my previous trip. Via seems to do a pretty good job at keeping this equipment going, although another round of restoration looms ahead I am afraid, as the 90s renovations are starting to show their age. Some painting and new carpet would easily do!

As for the Renaissance equipment. I have mixed feelings. I took a peak a the coach section - looked really nice. But I was unimpressed with the overhead bins or space for onboard storage. No idea how I would deal with my briefcase if I were to bring it on board. The Service/Lounge cars - they have more to be desired. Very few seats and for a tall (and fairly slim person), I was totally uncomfortable and felt like I was ready to fall on the floor. I would imagine the transition from the Skyline dome and Park Car to the Renaissance lounges on the Ocean is not going over too well with regular riders. Can't imagine being in the Renaissance equipment for the trek out to Halifax from Montreal without a nice lounge. Still can't decide whether I liked the Renaissance sleepers or not. It was nice to be in new equipment, but I am not crazy about their design. Lots of bathroom space, but not a lot of room to maneuver for two people once the beds are down. I would have used some of the bathroom and storage space for extra room for maneuvering within the room. The ride was really smooth - not sure if this was due more to the car or the corridor infrastructure.

In speaking to some of the onboard staff, they are deeply concerned about the Rocky Mountaineer's 2006 launch on portions of former BC routing from Vancouver to Jasper via Prince George. I was really hoping VIA would be awarded operations on this route and it would provide a tourist and public service for online communities. Instead, seasonal runs by the Rocky Mountaineer for tourists only. Rumors are flying that Via's Skeena will be discontinued when the Rocky Mountaineer takes off. I sure hope this doesn't happen, as the Skeena is a real gem, particularly with the new Panorama car coupled with the Park Car.

Another attendant mentioned that Via had recently petitioned to operate a train from Calgary to Vancouver (on the CP) and got shot down by the Rocky Mountaineer, bus companies and airlines. Not sure on the "recent" definition. "Purely a political decision, and if we did operate on that route, the train would be packed" - as the attendant put it. It's too bad the Rocky Mountaineer has taken hold of the CP route and are so politically connected that VIA doesn't have a chance in opeating on the CP (or BC route). "The public be damned" I suppose. The Rocky Mountaineer is truly a tourist train, offering no public service like VIA does. I would think the Rocky Mountaineer and VIA could operate separately, different schedules and year-round, catering to two different types of travellers/tourists.

And now with the Rocky Mountaineer infringing on the Skeena - the balance is really turned in my opinion. Allowing VIA to operate Calgary to Vancouver would seem to be adequate compensation.

There's was also concern about the Hudson Bay Route, although I have heard this concern many times before.

When I think of Canada and its formation as a unified nation, the Canadian Pacific Railroad always sticks out. I still find it hard to believe VIA no longer operates on the CP for its transcontinental route.

#73156  by marquisofmississauga

I'm pleased that you enjoyed your VIA trips.

Regarding the Renaissance coaches (the same seating arrangement is used in the first class service) there is actually a fair bit of under-seat stowage. I have placed a duffle-bag sized piece of luggage under the seat. Even a "carry-on" sized wheeled suitcase will fit under the seat. The above-seat shelf will hold only a brief-case or a coat and brollie. There is a baggage car opeated on all Renaissance trains. Most other corridor trains have no checked baggage service.

The service car's lounge is definitely a joke on long-distance trains. On the corridor trains, it is a welcome advantage as it provides first-class passengers an amenity not available on other corridor trains. After dinner, one can go to the lounge for a liqueur - or perhaps another liqueur in addition to the one served at one's seat!

I quite like the sleepers. Of course they are a bit cramped for two, especially when the upper berth is down. But so are all other regular-sized bedrooms, i.e. on the Budd-built ex-CPR sleepers. I have measured the space of the Ren. bedrooms and they offer the same area as the Budd sleeper's bedrooms (except, of course, for the much sought after bedroom "F" in the "Manor"series sleepers.) They are also palatial when compared to what Amtrak used to call a "standard" bedroom (now called by the historic term "roomette.") One big disadvantage of the Ren. rooms is that they cannot be made en suite with the adjacent one. This, however, gives the passengers the benefit of a sofa, rather than the two chairs which the Budd rooms have. Two weeks ago I had a thoroughly enjoyable trip on the Canadian, but in order to have friends in my room for pre-dinner drinks, we had to have the lower bed put down so the four people could sit. Four is a little tight on a Ren. sofa, but far more comfortable than sitting on a lower bed.

The riding quality of Ren. equipment is fabulous, and this is considered to be the quality of the trucks and the tight couplers. On the rough ex-CN trackage used by VIA's Ocean, the HEP-equipped train's cars bounce something fierce, but the Ren. train glides along.

As you have been told by VIA's personnel, the plans to re-establish VIA service along the CPR route will not happen - at least not for a very long time. While I acknowledge the Rocky Mountaineer provides an excellent service for its intended purpose, it will not provide a year-round service nor will it allow local passage; i.e. one must travel from end-point to end-point. Many of the right-wing anti-VIA politicians put forth the outright lie that the "Rocky Mountaineer took over the money-losing Rockies By Daylight train from VIA." The truth is that the service made a modest profit in the short time the Mulroney government allowed VIA to do so. When VIA was cut in half in 1990, the government forced VIA to sell off the equipment of their only profitable route (at reportedly very low prices) to the private sector.
 #73354  by jp1822

Thanks for the insight! I did not notice the room under the seat on the Renaissance coach, but I remember that you had to step up into the coach seat (which seemed kinda neat), so I could see how there would be room underneath. I overlooked that. Yes, the Renaissance Lounge operating on the Ocean is not the best. Corridor trains for short hauls - added bonus for sure. I did like all the neat storage areas in the Renaissance sleeper. Interesting that it is comparable to the Budd's double bedrooms. Good to know. Soon as we boarded, the beds were down, so I didn't have the luxury of seeing the room when beds were up. Either way - still better than Amtrak standard bedrooms.

I am going to see if I can get some friends to do a group trip for New Year's on the Canadian/Ocean. Really want to take the Canadian eastbound, but the departure days from Vancouver are not fitting into my vacation schedule too well. If only it was daily! Also going to try and plan a trip in the Pacific Northwest in late Spring that involves the Skeena Totem Deluxe class. Fearful this service may not be around in a few years.

If the Rocky Mountaineer could operate their trains in the Rockies at a profit, no reason Via couldn't have done the same. And the equipment sold off was at a great price from what I have heard.
 #73536  by downbeat

jp1822 wrote:If the Rocky Mountaineer could operate their trains in the Rockies at a profit, no reason Via couldn't have done the same.
Via *did* operate its version of the Rocky Mountaineer at a profit -- which makes the decision to give it away to the private sector even more bizarre.
jp1822 wrote:And the equipment sold off was at a great price from what I have heard.
Great for the buyers, not for Via.