Railroad Forums 

• Railroad Artifacts Remaining in Toledo

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#58732  by matt

Let's see...there is a "N&W Property No Trespassing" sign at the Central Avenue Crossing along the Backside Route, a turquiose tractor trailer from the Penn Central near Nasby, visible from Westwood, and Semaphores at Hallett Tower.

Lets have some more, hopefully some photos too. Thanks.

#58776  by nycrick

Next to the PC trailer near Nasby there's a PRR trailer too. According to the web site about Toledo West.

#58788  by matt

Thanks, I'll look for that, do you know what color it is? There are also tracks that come off of the Main (track 2, southernmost of the 5) right on top of Westwood that lead to the facility where these trailers are parked. Not sure if we solved that mystery or not.

#58884  by chessie8212

There's the engraved PRR Keystone bridge just north of Walbridge.

#59210  by nycrick

The trailer is Tuscan Red, there's a picture somewhere on the Toledo West web site. I found it by accident so I don't remember exactly how I got to it!

#62682  by casstelles

Here's one always overlooked: The last remaining working semaphore at Hallet Tower on the Toledo Terminal. Also, don't forget the TO semaphores at Hallet Tower.
 #62836  by MSchwiebert

Bates tower still stands (surprisingly so) 25 odd years after it's closure. There's a an old searchlight signal along the old TTRR ROW north of of the upper river bridge (the bridge itself could be considered an artifact), presumably this was the SB approach for Bates. A few of the grade crossing signals also are still in place just south of Gould as well.
Also, there's a few skeletal remains of PRR position light signals on the line out of Walbridge.

#63944  by WNYRailfan

Where is Bates tower?

#64165  by nkpcab77

There is the B&O coal dock at Rossford yard. One stall of the old DT&I roundhouse on Lewis. The NKP watertower(looks like a stand pipe) and the back wall of the the roundhouse on Front Street. Lastly there is a building off Manhattan which I think is the old Toledo Terminal shop but I'm not sure.

#64175  by matt

To get to Bates Tower, take 75 south to Miami Street, just across the river. Go south to Bates Road and turn left. The tower will be on your left hand side at the tracks.

#64311  by nycrick

Yes, the buildings at Manhattan & Hoffmann are the former TTRR engine house (site of my first close encounter with RRs when I was 2), their offices & I think the coaling tower is still there. There's a Wannick Jct. sign in Maumee where the tracks cross Cass Rd. Wannick Jct. is where the WAB & Cloverleaf mains seperated.

#64945  by WNYRailfan

What trackage did the Bates tower control?

Rumor has it that this structure is on borrowed time and is slighted to be demolished soon. I took digital pics on Saturday and plan to return this coming weekend for Kodachrome pics.

Anyone have a one day tresspass pass from CSX and maybe a ladder to get onto the second floor of the tower? I'd like to see the interior before it's demolished.

#65161  by matt

The tower controlled moves from and between the B&O and Toledo Terminal Railroads.

#65176  by chessie8212

Where on Lewis is the DT&I stall? I've driven up and down that road looking for it on previous ocassions and never found it.

#65222  by WNYRailfan

The remaining stall of the DT&I roundhouse built in 1979 is actually on Laskey Rd. About 0.5 mile West of Lewis.

If you take Lewis Ave. North from Sylvania Ave. Turn left onto Laskey and it will be on your right hand side just before the tracks.

If you are driving from the West, it is about 1 mile East of Jackman Rd.
Take Laskey east from Jackman and it is just past the Smuckers plant on the left hand side.

The Ann Arbor Railroad usually takes a 10 car load train out of the Yard on Thursdays (around 9:30 am).