Railroad Forums 

• Railroad abandonment dates and mileage?

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#211211  by rls62

Hello,

I'm looking for a website that would indicate railroad abandonment dates and mileage.

Thanks in advance.

#212325  by Nicolai3985

I doubt that there is a master website that lists any significant amount of abandonment dates and mileage at this point in time. However, if you could provide a certain area you are looking for, or a railroad, perhaps we could point you in the direction of some groups who focus on your area of interest, and who would have such information

-Nick

#212517  by rls62

Thanks. Maybe there's a publication out there too with this info like an ICC report.

#212651  by Nicolai3985

You are correct about that. The ICC published reports dating back to the late 1800s with information about abandonments. I have an excerpt from one of these reports about a small branch line near my hometown. The report lists the date, the length, information about maintenance and salvage value, and general details about the customers served.

A large city library might have copies of these reports, or perhaps a nearby university. The library here at Penn State has many of the report editions, for example (but they are missing the ones that I need!)

-Nick

#212878  by rls62

Thanks again. I'll check it out.
 #213213  by 2nd trick op

Traffic World, a professional-oriented magazine, used to carry a listing of proposed rail abandonments in each issue; Trains has also featured this news on a monthly basis in recent years.

#226810  by Malley

In the past, CSX transportation has given me route maps and proposed abandonements. I don't know if they still do this per your request, or how far back they might be willing to dig. Worth a try. Don't have a link; back when I contacted them, it was via snail mail.
Malley

#236818  by BaltOhio

Back before I retired (which was -- sigh -- 20 years ago), "Traffic World" was by far the best single source. Basically this was (maybe still is) a publication for professionals in the business of buying and selling transportation, and it covered in minute detail the actions of the ICC, other government agencies, and carriers that related to the interests of its readers. It has been published for many years, so it's an excellent historic resource.

The down side, though, is that it was/is a weekly publication, so any research on abandonments requires combing through a massive number of magazines. There are also some cautions, since abandonment applications were often denied, withdrawn, or changed, and even when approved, may not have been effected on or near the date shown.
 #237296  by rhallanger

rhallanger wrote:
rls62 wrote:Hello,

I'm looking for a website that would indicate railroad abandonment dates and mileage.

Thanks in advance.
I found this site to be very good - http://www.trainweather.com/aban.html
The other good site is the STB site, but only goest back 10 years. Look it up under docket "AB" (abandonments). Good times....
http://www.stb.dot.gov/decisions/readin ... x?OpenView