Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1066849  by ExCon90

So the "security guard" at the Santa Fe depot was a rent-a-cop? Looks as though that might be a gap in communications, if official policy is communicated by Amtrak, NCTD and MTS to their respective police but maybe not to the rent-a-cops. (A related thought: are rent-a-cops given basic training on safety rules to be observed around live tracks? A railroad station is not a mall or a bank.)
 #1074689  by njtmnrrbuff

Hey, I plan to railfan mostly the Orange and Green Lines of MTS.

Whichs areas are nice for photographs?

Which neighborhoods should I stay out of?

Thanks.
 #1075533  by Head-end View

Ride the Green Line across Mission Valley to the end at the Santee Towne Center mall. Good scenic territory. In 2006, I took trolley photos at Santee and no one bothered me. It's a good ride.
 #1076812  by diburning

Old Town is a great place to watch freight and passenger action without being bothered. There's a grade crossing there too so it might be better than the Santa Fe Depot which has tall buildings all around which casts shadows in inconvenient places.

I plan on going back either sometime this year or next year.

And if I run into that rent-a-cop again, I'll just call Amtrak Police and tell them there's a rent-a-cop impersonating one of them.
 #1077134  by njtmnrrbuff

I will definately railfan at Old Town Station. In fact, I may stay in a hotel in that area.

How's the daytime freight action along the Surfline in San Diego, as well as on the trackage below the Amtrak Station? Thanks.