Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning in ABQ and anywhere along Railrunner Express

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#1277136  by njtmnrrbuff

Hello,
Between August 28th and August 30th, I'm going to be in ABQ. I won't have access to a car, and am wondering which are the best railfan spots in ABQ especially along Railrunner Express, In addition, I will be riding Railrunner Express in its entirety. Thanks for any pointers.
 #1277850  by Backshophoss

All station platforms are OK for photos except for the Kewa and Sandia stations which is on Indian reservation lands,
Due to cultural reasons. There are signs posted at the boundries,please respect their wishes.
A day pass(RT) from Belen or Abq can be used for travel on the Santa Fe Trails(city) bus by showing the ticket to the driver,
the same is true for a day pass from Belen or Santa Fe for the ABQ RIDE (City) bus.
The Santa Fe Rail Trail for bikes and walkers follows the track from the Depot to near CP Hondo(in Santa Fe).
The Santa Fe Southern (tourist train) is still "mothballed" at this time.
The Shop complex is OFF LIMITS as is the BNSF yard,you might be able to peak in the Wheels Museum on Sat,
if some of the members are on site,as is the ATSF 2926 restoration site at 8th st nw/I-40 EB frontage rd.
(Note: Homeless roam the area,be carefull).
At Belen,Both the station platform and the Harvey House Museum have good views of BNSF freight traffic,
that runs on the transcon. Belen is a major yard on the transcon.
NMRX uses CCTV and roaming security guards at all station platforms,mind you manners,you should be OK.
The same when the Chief is in town.
 #1290085  by Backshophoss

All the bridges crossing the tracks have sidewalks,and have chainlink fencing to deter jumpers in Downtown ABQ,
views are fair to good depending on the sun angle.
On Sundays there's a Market of sorts in the Blacksmith Shop from 10a-2p accessed from a gate off 1st street,
however it's common the view to the tracks is blocked by autoracks made up for a run to the west coast(leaves in the late pm). :(