Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning at Carousel Center in Syracuse

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#11178  by Schooltrain

I think one of the best spots for railfanning upstate has to be at Carousel Center along the old NYC mainline. Because the Syracuse station is just east across Park Street, traffic is generally running slower through there so you can get a good view of it. You can park your vehicle in one of the mall parking lots and sit there and see train after train, including Amtrak, go rolling by. The view is so unobstructed that pictures can easily be taken. Plus, if you go to the NYSW (OnTrak) loading platform, you can get some great shots of oncoming traffic from both directions. Just thought

I'd pass this along in case there was someone who wanted to see some traffic but didn't realize what a great opportunity this place presents to do it legally.

#11261  by O-6-O

I concure, if you park on the elevated parking deck and set your self
up along the concrete wall you can get some great shots east or west.
This postion also puts you right across from CP-291 where the Montreal
Sec. connects to the main. Good shots of Q-620(old cnse) in the afternoon here are a real treat. The elevated platform at the RTC is
also good however be prepared to prove your NOT a terrorist. You may
have to move along.

STEAM ON

#11282  by nessman

Don't forget about the food court at the mall - good view of the tracks for those looking to railfan out of the elements.