Railroad Forums 

• Railfan Day! June 27-28

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#676486  by Alcophile

Is there any chance that we will be able to ride to North Java, I don't care if a Diesel is on the head end for that, but it would be worth it!
 #676519  by thebigham

^Nope.

If they work on the tracks from Curriers to NJ this year, maybe the A&A would run a passenger train to N Jave next year?
 #678976  by BSOR Patarak

For the steam enthusiasts, A steam saw mill demonstration will be set up at Curriers. The layover will be extended so that demonstrations can be seen by the passengers.

There will be a slide show at the Arcade Station at 7:30. There will be a short video of early A&A steam (original) and then Slides of the first couple of years of steam excursions (1962-65). There may be more presenters added. A night photo session is in the discussion stages...stay tuned.
Pat
 #679113  by joesbag

Man 'o man, this is sounding better and better as time goes on. An all day event. I'm definitely there! One can only hope that in time a run to N. Java with 18 and the passenger consist could be set up again. I was on the one in '81 or 82. I do hope the much needed trackwork from Curriers to N. Java is started this year.
 #679899  by Mountcastle

Will the 'Ping-Pong' coach discussed earlier form part of this railfan day, by any chance? I didn't see it at all when I rode the train Meomorial Day Weekend. Where is it?
 #680321  by leftyfretguy

Are they any plans for sunday? The original post here mentions both engines will be running saturday and sunday but the Arcade & Attica website only says saturday...
Maybe they could do a photo freight as well!
Is there an estimate on how many runbys we will be getting on the photo train? I made reservations today but forgot to ask.
And if I get a vote, I say leave 18 painted for Arcade & Attica, but steam is steam and I'll take what I can get!
Hopefully this will bring in enough money for them that this will become an annual event.
19 days to go!
Matt
 #680370  by BSOR Patarak

The Ping Pong coach is awaiting wheels and won't make it for the trip....unknown eta on that one.

As for the run-bys, at least two are planned as of now. This may change as schedules are finalized, but the plan is to make them as accessible as possible for the riders of the special double header. Other A&A equipment will also be on display for photos too.

#6 will still be in Arcade for Sunday as well. However, there won't be a double header trip then. Sunday's Schedule is 12:00 and 2:30 #18 will pull the regular train north to Curriers. 12:30 and 3:00 #6 will pull the extra south towards the interchange over the B&S trackage.

Pat Connors
 #681112  by leftyfretguy

I hope this does not come across nasty or whiney but... I was hoping for a bit more than 2 runbys. I can get 3 or 4 in each direction on a normal trip. Please keep us posted. I already bought my tickets but I may chase instead.
still can't wait!!!
Matt
 #681241  by Mountcastle

My plan is to ride on Saturday and participate in all the scheduled events (I've gotten the all-day pass), then return on Sunday and just observe the action for free. I hope good weather prevails. In any event it will be a remarkable weekend for a long-time A&A enthusiast who never dreamed there would ever be a 'strange' iron horse galloping down the line along with 18 or 14. Honestly, I wasn't even aware of another operating steam locomotive in New York, much less one so nearby, so this has all taken me by quite a surprise.

Green coaches, a covered gondola, a visiting steam engine, steam equipment at Curriers, Old No. 18, and heaven knows what else they have up their sleeves...and all at such a reasonable price!

Whomever the management are these days really deserve a round of applause for their remarkable efforts. The railroad just seems to get better and better with more and more to offer each year. And hats off to Pat Connors, too, whom I have to think must have had a great deal to do with all of this.

Incidentally, Pat, I saw you Memorial Day weekend but I didn't recognize you right away, I'm afraid. It's been about 15 years, after all, and we both look a bit different...back then you had long, curly locks. I didn't recognize you until at one point during the return trip you sat directly in front of me and we locked eyes for a moment...but at that point you were having fun with your family and I didn't want to interrupt.

But I'll be sure to say 'hello' on the 27th.
 #682907  by thebigham

How is the Photographers Special Run selling? Should I buy my ticket now?

Chris
 #683033  by leftyfretguy

Hey that video is great! I bet the guy that shot it is a real good guy too! It is pure coincidence that his name and mine are the same....... :wink: :-D
Here are some pictures I took that day too.
http://members.fortunecity.com/stolzenfels/vc6.html
I also rode the Gowanda trip behind her last fall but have nothing posted from that trip.
Apparently I can't get enough of this little tank engine because I will see it again in Michigan. Can you get arrested for stalking a steam engine????
less than 2 weeks!
Matt
 #683616  by thebigham

I bought my all day ticket yesterday.

When I called the office, someone actually answered and was very friendly. :wink:
 #683759  by Benjamin Maggi

My wife and I are going to be there riding all day Saturday, along with my father-in-law. Who else will be there?