Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#266065  by PRRGuy

The trainmaster told me today that next monday or tuesday there's going to be a welded rail train out on the line dropping new rail. I'll get some more info tomorrow.

Boy, I hope I catch that job.

#268518  by PRRGuy

Ok, the rail train didn't get here yet so it hasn't been out.. Right now It's at 95th st on the CN/IC from there CSS freight will take it to burnham yard. Tomorrow, the NICTD 1000 + One CSS unit will pick it up, drop rail at hegewisch, South Bailly and one other spot I can't remember right now. Should be interesting to watch. Also, they're talking about single tracking at hegewisch to get trains around the rail train. I believe they're dropping 15 pieces of rail total.

#268714  by JLJ061

Will it be for the gauntlet track to be installed at Hegewisch?

#269058  by PRRGuy

Yes, I believe that's what some of the rail is for.

I ended up catching a different job today. (403-14-109) but at 10:10am we met the rail train at hammond while I was on 14. The rail train was headed eastbound.

#269549  by PRRGuy

Tomorrow there's a Stone Train heading out, not sure where to.

Work crews were out last night replacing the diamond at Shops on the Ex NKP line and the east switch at Tamarack was also replaced.

(EDIT:) Actually, a crew was sent out to finish pulling the rail. It was stored at south power the past few days and the 1000 and a freight unit dropped 5 pieces at power and will shove to Tremont and drop the other 2 pieces. It's on its way to tremont as we speak, as I passed it at sheridan on Train #7 earlier, then drove back to power to watch for a bit.
Last edited by PRRGuy on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

#269634  by dinwitty

PRRGuy wrote:Tomorrow there's a Stone Train heading out, not sure where to.

Work crews were out last night replacing the diamond at Shops on the Ex NKP line and the east switch at Tamarack was also replaced.
fresh rail from wear and tear?

#269755  by PRRGuy

Yep, I imagine...with all the freight traffic and such. One of the trainmasters said every year they plan to replace a few new sections of rail.