Railroad Forums 

• Rail Spur Business Opportunities?

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#1297125  by kpope

Hello everyone. New member here with a question regarding rail spurs.

We currently operate a small business in southern California. The property has 2 short (5-6 car) rail spurs. We are only using one of those spurs, and are interested in renting/leasing out the unused spur. Both are serviced by BNSF.

Does anyone have an idea of what it's worth in rent per month?

And where would you go looking for someone interested in utilizing it?

And lastly, if you have any other clever ideas, I'm all ears :wink:

Thanks for all your input.
 #1297622  by dpeltier

I have no idea what kind of rent you could expect. But as for how to go about looking for an interested party to lease it to - I would start by contacting the BNSF economic development team for your region. They may have some ideas about what businesses are out there looking for rail service, and they have an interest in putting that track to work making $ for the railroad.

See http://www.bnsf.com/communities/contact ... 3subtabs-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for BNSF economic development contacts.

Disclaimer - I am a BNSF employee, but the opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Dan
 #1297723  by ExCon90

That's an excellent suggestion. Every railroad has a department called Industrial Development or something similar, and they all have a current inventory of what's available and who's looking for what. By all means try it.