Railroad Forums 

• Rail route North Korea-Hanoi?

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1501578  by NKP1155

The new Un is on his way to Hanoi in his private armored train. Is there not a gauge change at the China border with N Korea? In "Riding the Iron Rooster" the line in Southern China to Viet Nam was narrow gauge? And I thought the narrow gauge continued in Viet Nam. We know Kim has used his train to Beijing, but can he use it all the way to Hanoi?
 #1501623  by mtuandrew

NKP1155 wrote:The new Un is on his way to Hanoi in his private armored train. Is there not a gauge change at the China border with N Korea? In "Riding the Iron Rooster" the line in Southern China to Viet Nam was narrow gauge? And I thought the narrow gauge continued in Viet Nam. We know Kim has used his train to Beijing, but can he use it all the way to Hanoi?
Good question. I suppose they could change trucks at the border? I’ll also believe the train story when I see it rolling through Beijing, because it’s just as likely he flies and the car comes to Hai Phong on a ship under cover of darkness.

—————

Moderator Note: moved to Worldwide Railfan.
 #1501632  by CarterB

Train through China to Vietnam border. By auto convoy there to Hanoi. Why not rail all the way, I don't know.
In Vietnam, the Hanoi metropolitan area has standard-gauge access via the dual-gauge (meter and standard) line that runs from Hanoi's Gia Lâm railway station to the Chinese (Guangxi) border at Đồng Đăng; this is the line that enables direct standard-gauge connection between Hanoi and China.

The Communist party’s Nhân Dân newspaper on Friday quoted the department of roads as saying the ban would first apply to trucks 10 tons or bigger, and vehicles with nine seats or more on the 170km (105-mile) stretch of highway from Đồng Đăng, the border town with China, to Hanoi from 7pm on Monday to 2pm on Tuesday, followed by a complete ban on Tuesday on all vehicles from 6am to 2pm.

The people’s committee in Lạng Sơn province, where the Đồng Đăng railway station is located, issued a statement on Friday instructing the road operator to clean the highway stretch and suspend road works, among other things, from 24-28 February as “a political task”. Mr Kim's train will stop at the Vietnamese border station of Dong Dang, where he will disembark and drive 170km to Hanoi by car, the sources said.
 #1501654  by David Benton

mtuandrew wrote:
NKP1155 wrote:The new Un is on his way to Hanoi in his private armored train. Is there not a gauge change at the China border with N Korea? In "Riding the Iron Rooster" the line in Southern China to Viet Nam was narrow gauge? And I thought the narrow gauge continued in Viet Nam. We know Kim has used his train to Beijing, but can he use it all the way to Hanoi?
Good question. I suppose they could change trucks at the border? I’ll also believe the train story when I see it rolling through Beijing, because it’s just as likely he flies and the car comes to Hai Phong on a ship under cover of darkness.

—————

Thanks Andrew, Apparently he does not like flying , and North Korea has no modern aircraft. Logistically , flying would be a lot simpler.
The clearing of the road for Dignitaries seems to be an Asian tradition . Once , when I was in Bangkok , We were instructed to get off the road , apparently the King was about to be driven by.
 #1501655  by george matthews

I suspect he has a rather heavy train and not all tracks may be fit to receive it. There may well be a Standard Gauge track to Hanoi, but is it strong enough to suit his train?
 #1501810  by David Benton

There appears to be a dual gauge railway from Hanoi to the Chinese border, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_Railways" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
https://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm#Beij ... i-by-train" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1501820  by R&DB

Kim's armored train only went as far as the China/Vietnam boder at Dong Dang. From there to Hanoi was done by highway convoy. Not sure why.
 #1501854  by phillyrube

David Benton wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:
NKP1155 wrote: —————
The clearing of the road for Dignitaries seems to be an Asian tradition . Once , when I was in Bangkok , We were instructed to get off the road , apparently the King was about to be driven by.
Happens here as well.