Railroad Forums 

• Rail removal at Bush Terminal

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1037933  by rscott417

deandremouse wrote:The new connection to the SBK, (well redone connection) is part of the work done for the delivery of new subway locomotives, MP 8AC-3s coming in via NYNJ rail.

http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/inde ... comotives/
When are these supposed to get delivered, id like to see the new 1st ave track being used
 #1038203  by rscott417

JoeRailRoad wrote:I've heard that the City wants the tracks on 1st Ave. to be ripped up so that the sewers and storm drains can be removed from under the rail bed.
Took a detour down 1st ave this morning on my way home from work and you were right, the rails are removed again and the road is dug up
 #1038845  by tj48

emfinite wrote:That's quite possibly the ugliest locomotive I've ever seen.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
 #1039018  by railfan365

rscott417 wrote:
JoeRailRoad wrote:I've heard that the City wants the tracks on 1st Ave. to be ripped up so that the sewers and storm drains can be removed from under the rail bed.
Took a detour down 1st ave this morning on my way home from work and you were right, the rails are removed again and the road is dug up
How long is this expected to take? It can kill part of the railroad's buisness if they're out of service for too long. Besides, you'd think that they would have thunk of this before and had the rails redone only once - but that would have been too easy.
 #1039205  by Backshophoss

The joys of replacing old,long outdated underground services, everything else is affected as well.
To move a storm sewer,you wind up moving telco,ConEd,gas,water,cable and sanitary sewers along with it!
It is never easy in NYC!
 #1039240  by Sir Ray

Backshophoss wrote:The joys of replacing old,long outdated underground services, everything else is affected as well.
To move a storm sewer,you wind up moving telco,ConEd,gas,water,cable and sanitary sewers along with it!
It is never easy in NYC!
That's understood, but is this work on First Avenue north of Bush Terminal, south of Bush Terminal, or all along 1st Avenue - if North, then the city should have scheduled the work (or the PANYNJ held off on new track-work) before the new track was installed, if South, then are the float bridges at 65th read to go to pick up the slack since Bush Terminal is isolated from NY&A otherwise?
If neither, I thought the City gave up on this 3 Stooges-Style street-work scheduling nonsense after Koch left office - first pave the street, then dig it up...
 #1039279  by Backshophoss

It's possible there might be state permitting and/or federal permitting tangled in this to go along with city permits.
Any time you're working near the waterfront,all sorts of c**p shows up, and adds to cost.
The "redtape" just multiplies!
 #1039507  by freightguy

North of the yard would not severly impact switching operation. Most of the drilling would be done towards the NY sanitation garage. It definetely quieter on the North end. Sometimes the Eng would barely clear the trucks at that warehouse near 39 and 40th st. The pontoon was replaced in 2007 at Bush Terminal. Maybe it's time the float bridges at 65 St. finally saw some action besides being oiled once a month since 1999. The pontoon is a bit simpler of an operation. The float bridges require somebody to raise and lower them and also used of an idler car to keep the weight off the float apron. I've loaded both from the pontoon and float bridge. With the millions invested it would be nice to 65 st. up and running. All sorts of boondoggles though with NYC EDC, PA of NYNJ with that area.