Railroad Forums 

• Rail 'n Sail Special to Greenport 10/21/1979

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1557949  by jhdeasy

Over the years, Greenport has hosted various events that centered on the visits of large/tall sailing ships. I did some online research, but was unable to identify a specific sailing ships event held at Greenport in October 1979.

This could be a special excursion train operated for the event, but it could also be a regularly scheduled train with some extra 2900 series P72 coaches and parlor observation 2082 ASHAROKEN added to accommodate the increased demand. It is interesting to see a custom designed tail-sign in the drumhead can; I wonder if this tail-sign was produced by a sponsoring organization or by someone at LIRR? As for motive power, I agree that a pair of MP-15 locomotives would be probable. Was the Greenport turntable still in service at that time, if they wanted to turn a GP38-2 ?
 #1557989  by C-LINER 2001

jhdeasy, No on the turntable, when the first Greenport scoot started on June 26, 1972, the engineer who own the job was told "Stay off the Turntable" and he did not, so the LIRR sent a "Track Crew" out to spike the switch to the turntable to fix him. the LIRR was concern that the turntable going to break down with him on it.