Railroad Forums 

• Rail Bridge of 695 in Baltimore

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#383827  by gprimr1

What is the name of the line that crosses 695 just east of 795? Not the Metro Subway, but the overhead bridge. I viewed it with a map and it seems to miander north to a place called Porters Sideling PA.

Any information on it, is it still used?

It looks like it goes all the way into the city, could this be used as an express route into the city, say a R-town/Ownings Mills express train?

#383874  by BaltOhio

This was the former Western Maryland mainline from Baltimore/Port Covington to Hagerstown. At Glyndon (north of Reisterstown) it divided, with the principal route running west through Westminster, Union Bridge, and Thurmont, and the so-called Dutch Line running NW through Hampstead, Lineboro, Porters, Hanover, and Gettysburg. The line west of Glyndon as far as Highfield is now Maryland Midland; the line out of Baltimore (crossing I-695) to Glyndon, and the Dutch Line beyond, is fully intact and owned by CSXT. A daily local operates out of Baltimore to Glyndon to connect with the MMID, and the line carries stone trains and other traffic beyond Glyndon.

At Porters the Dutch Line joins what was originally the WM's York branch, now operated by Yorkrail, or whatever the current name is.

#383905  by hutton_switch

Three years ago this month, I was part of the DCNRHS' excursion that ran from Union Station in DC, up to Baltimore on the old B&O line, and connected in south Baltimore to this line. We rode over this overpass on to Westminster, Thurmont, and on to Hagerstown. After a 1½-hr. stop at the WM Roundhouse Museum in Hagerstown, we went south to CSXT at Cherry Run, and back to Union Station via the Met. I'll always remember this ride.