Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1496625  by Head-end View

ConstanceR46, you're probably right. It is a changing world and I'm an old school guy. If someone would have said forty years ago that some day American Transit Agencies were going to be buying subway cars from China, nobody would have believed it. So for me it still seems kind of weird.
 #1496672  by GirlOnTheTrain

Head-end View wrote:Which company are you talking about? CRRC or Kawasaki? And why were they banned from bidding?
Bombardier was forbidden from bidding on the 211's, and CCRC was going to submit a bid on the 211's by forming some sort of partnership with BBD. As for why BBD isn't allowed to bid on the 211's, I think this entire thread speaks for itself.
 #1496714  by Head-end View

Okay...........and (with apologies for my ignorance) Backshopboss, who or what prohibits CRRC from bidding on Federally funded projects and what is the reason for that?
 #1496723  by Backshophoss

From the congress critters, after the major freight car builders raised a stink, fear of being undercutted by CRRC on new freight car builds.
This involves any new build transit/commuter/passenger equipment with FED $$$$$$$$$$ financing.
If private financed CRRC can bid.

With credit to "Crazy EDDIE" back in the day: "CRRC's prices are so low, there INSANE!!!" :P :P :P
 #1498327  by tommyboy6181

NYCT has suspended R179 deliveries until further notice, citing problems with the door systems and HVAC software.
Link: https://www.thestar.com/business/econom ... ssues.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a few interesting things here. First, the HVAC systems on the R179 are manufactured by Mitsubishi Electric. That company also provided HVAC for the R142A, R143, R160A, R160B, and the R188. Now I'm not sure if it was just Alstom and Kawasaki doing a better job with integration or what, but that was surprising to see.

Even more interesting is the door system that Bombardier uses on the R179. Instead of using Vapor or Fuji Electric which is used the other NTT cars, Bombardier went with Nanjing Kangni Mechanical & Electrical Co, which is based in Nanjing China. The first major US projects- Bombardier trains for NYCT and BART in San Francisco. Both projects- door problems. In Toronto with the Toronto Rocket trains that Bombardier built- door problems from Nanjing Kangni products which required rework.

I find it interesting that Bombardier is having all of these problems and not just with the R179 trains. BART trains will be late, Toronto streetcars are significantly late, and other projects worldwide are experiencing issues also.
 #1498341  by Jeff Smith

Similar article: GlobalNews.ca

NYC transit chief slams Bombardier, halts rail car deliveries over problems
Andy Byford told the state transit authority this week that New York City Transit will halt new train car deliveries until more of the existing cars are fixed.
He cited “depressing” issues with the HVAC system software and past problems with springs between the cars and doors that were “weeping oil.”
“We understand the frustration and we own the issue,” spokesman Eric Prudhomme said in an email Thursday evening.

Prudhomme said he expects the technical problems with the R179 cars, which run on several lines in New York City, to be fixed “shortly,” with 50 employees “working around the clock” at Bombardier’s plant in Plattsburgh, N.Y.
 #1498469  by GirlOnTheTrain

ConstanceR46 wrote:If i was in charge i'd use the cars delivered for something insular (the SIR or shuttles) and just find a new manufacturer.
You can't run them in pairs, so you can't run them on the Franklin shuttle without wasting money on platform extensions - which they would have done 20 years ago if they were going to do it.
 #1544655  by GirlOnTheTrain

Fitting listening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

Early this morning an A train split apart (yes, you read this right - split apart...at the draw bars) at Chambers Street. The 179's have been yanked from service again until they figure out what the hell is going on - and this comes at a somewhat crappy time, since to coincide with the city's reopening on Monday, NYCT is planning on resuming full service. Not sure what they're running in the 179's place today, but remember last time they got yanked, the R42s were dragged out of retirement - so maybe we shouldn't have poured any out for the R32's yet. Right now whatever they did is affecting (C) service, with some (A) & (D) trains making local stops to compensate for a lack of (C) service.

Article here: Patch - https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-cit ... FA6Wsj2jBc

NYDN - https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny ... K7jJ-7iWD8

Statement from Sarah Feinberg here

Picture showing the split AT THE DRAWBAR here
Last edited by GirlOnTheTrain on Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added NYDN link